Scottsdale Prep boys hoops combines youth with quality
Originally published: Jan 11, 2014 - 12:00 am
Scottsdale Prep has a young boys basketball team, but the Spartans are good and getting better.
They have six sophomores, three juniors, two freshmen and one senior.
In back-to-back home games, the Spartans defeated defending Division IV champ Glendale Joy Christian 75-57 on Friday night (Jan. 10), and on Saturday night (Jan. 11) came back with a 77-66 win over 2012 champ Phoenix Country Day School.
Scottsdale Prep (14-2), the top team in Division IV power points, did it against No. 6 PCDS (10-3) with Mr. Inside, 6-foot-8 Yuval Bennett-Yakoby, and Mr. Outside, Daniel Lybbert. Both are sophomores.
Bennett-Yakoby followed up an 18-point, 12-rebound effort against Joy with 23 points and 10 rebounds against PCDS. Lybbert has as sweet of an outside shot that you would want to see. He connected on five of seven shots from 3-point range and finished with 15 points.
Lone senior Matt Munsil had 15 points and 11 rebounds and junior guard Ben Arqueros had 12 points and nine assists.
Scottsdale Prep ran up a big 10-point lead in the first half against PCDS, but the Eagles went on a 13-2 run over the final four minutes to take a 30-28 lead at halftime.
“We had an emotional game against Joy, and the guys let down a bit early,’’ said Scottsdale Prep coach Chad Clum. “We were outhustled, outworked, and we took bad shots.
“It was good that we were able to come back and win, but I expected more out of them. We haven’t really played four quarters together. We need to keep plugging away.’’
Bennett-Yakoby scored nine points in the third quarter to help Scottsdale Prep regain control with a 22-11 advantage.
Lybbert and Brock Petty hit 3-pointers in the fourth quarter and Arqueros converted eight of 10 free throws in the final 1:50 to keep the game out of reach.
PCDS also had a pair of long-range shooters. Andrew Ekmark hit five 3’s and finished with 27 points, and Nihaal Reddy had six big shots and totaled 22 points.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.