Scottsdale Prep boys hoops combines youth with quality
Originally published: Jan 11, 2014 - 12:00 am
Scottsdale Prep has a young boys basketball team, but the Spartans are good and getting better.
They have six sophomores, three juniors, two freshmen and one senior.
In back-to-back home games, the Spartans defeated defending Division IV champ Glendale Joy Christian 75-57 on Friday night (Jan. 10), and on Saturday night (Jan. 11) came back with a 77-66 win over 2012 champ Phoenix Country Day School.
Scottsdale Prep (14-2), the top team in Division IV power points, did it against No. 6 PCDS (10-3) with Mr. Inside, 6-foot-8 Yuval Bennett-Yakoby, and Mr. Outside, Daniel Lybbert. Both are sophomores.
Bennett-Yakoby followed up an 18-point, 12-rebound effort against Joy with 23 points and 10 rebounds against PCDS. Lybbert has as sweet of an outside shot that you would want to see. He connected on five of seven shots from 3-point range and finished with 15 points.
Lone senior Matt Munsil had 15 points and 11 rebounds and junior guard Ben Arqueros had 12 points and nine assists.
Scottsdale Prep ran up a big 10-point lead in the first half against PCDS, but the Eagles went on a 13-2 run over the final four minutes to take a 30-28 lead at halftime.
“We had an emotional game against Joy, and the guys let down a bit early,’’ said Scottsdale Prep coach Chad Clum. “We were outhustled, outworked, and we took bad shots.
“It was good that we were able to come back and win, but I expected more out of them. We haven’t really played four quarters together. We need to keep plugging away.’’
Bennett-Yakoby scored nine points in the third quarter to help Scottsdale Prep regain control with a 22-11 advantage.
Lybbert and Brock Petty hit 3-pointers in the fourth quarter and Arqueros converted eight of 10 free throws in the final 1:50 to keep the game out of reach.
PCDS also had a pair of long-range shooters. Andrew Ekmark hit five 3’s and finished with 27 points, and Nihaal Reddy had six big shots and totaled 22 points.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.