Westview girls overcome slow start to stop Millennium 35-21
Originally published: Jan 21, 2014 - 12:00 am
How does a basketball team recover after scoring just a single point in the first quarter?
It tightens up its defense.
That was the successful formula for the girls from Avondale Westview as they rallied to post a 35-21 road victory over rival Goodyear Millennium on Tuesday night (Jan. 21).
Westview (17-4) held Millennium, which lost for only the second time this season (19-2), to just 14 points over the final three quarters.
The Lady Knights continued to have Millennium’s number after defeating the Tigers twice last season on the way to a 33-2 finish.
“It was a tough game. Our girls really wanted this game,’’ said Westview coach Lisa Contreras.
She acknowledged that her team might have been a bit too anxious to start the game.
The Lady Knights mixed their signature pressure defense with a more deliberate, methodical offense that passed the ball with efficiency.
Saylair Grandon hit a three-pointer midway through the second quarter to put Westview up for good. She led all scorers with 10 points. Guards Rene Contreras and Marissa Rincon each had four points in the quarter.
Westview had a balanced offense in the third quarter and allowed just one basket to build a 29-13 lead entering the final quarter.
Millennium had a bit of a spark in the final period, but by then was in too deep of a hole to climb out.
Raina Perez scored nine points to lead Millennium, including a 3-pointer.
Rene Contreras had been bothered by a stiff back and forward Gloria Korval (three points) was slowed by a sore ankle.
Both teams return to action on Thursday (Jan. 23) with road games, Millennium at Laveen Betty H. Fairfax and Westview at Tolleson.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.