Westview girls overcome slow start to stop Millennium 35-21
Originally published: Jan 21, 2014 - 12:00 am
How does a basketball team recover after scoring just a single point in the first quarter?
It tightens up its defense.
That was the successful formula for the girls from Avondale Westview as they rallied to post a 35-21 road victory over rival Goodyear Millennium on Tuesday night (Jan. 21).
Westview (17-4) held Millennium, which lost for only the second time this season (19-2), to just 14 points over the final three quarters.
The Lady Knights continued to have Millennium’s number after defeating the Tigers twice last season on the way to a 33-2 finish.
“It was a tough game. Our girls really wanted this game,’’ said Westview coach Lisa Contreras.
She acknowledged that her team might have been a bit too anxious to start the game.
The Lady Knights mixed their signature pressure defense with a more deliberate, methodical offense that passed the ball with efficiency.
Saylair Grandon hit a three-pointer midway through the second quarter to put Westview up for good. She led all scorers with 10 points. Guards Rene Contreras and Marissa Rincon each had four points in the quarter.
Westview had a balanced offense in the third quarter and allowed just one basket to build a 29-13 lead entering the final quarter.
Millennium had a bit of a spark in the final period, but by then was in too deep of a hole to climb out.
Raina Perez scored nine points to lead Millennium, including a 3-pointer.
Rene Contreras had been bothered by a stiff back and forward Gloria Korval (three points) was slowed by a sore ankle.
Both teams return to action on Thursday (Jan. 23) with road games, Millennium at Laveen Betty H. Fairfax and Westview at Tolleson.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.