Westview girls overcome slow start to stop Millennium 35-21
Originally published: Jan 21, 2014 - 12:00 am
How does a basketball team recover after scoring just a single point in the first quarter?
It tightens up its defense.
That was the successful formula for the girls from Avondale Westview as they rallied to post a 35-21 road victory over rival Goodyear Millennium on Tuesday night (Jan. 21).
Westview (17-4) held Millennium, which lost for only the second time this season (19-2), to just 14 points over the final three quarters.
The Lady Knights continued to have Millennium’s number after defeating the Tigers twice last season on the way to a 33-2 finish.
“It was a tough game. Our girls really wanted this game,’’ said Westview coach Lisa Contreras.
She acknowledged that her team might have been a bit too anxious to start the game.
The Lady Knights mixed their signature pressure defense with a more deliberate, methodical offense that passed the ball with efficiency.
Saylair Grandon hit a three-pointer midway through the second quarter to put Westview up for good. She led all scorers with 10 points. Guards Rene Contreras and Marissa Rincon each had four points in the quarter.
Westview had a balanced offense in the third quarter and allowed just one basket to build a 29-13 lead entering the final quarter.
Millennium had a bit of a spark in the final period, but by then was in too deep of a hole to climb out.
Raina Perez scored nine points to lead Millennium, including a 3-pointer.
Rene Contreras had been bothered by a stiff back and forward Gloria Korval (three points) was slowed by a sore ankle.
Both teams return to action on Thursday (Jan. 23) with road games, Millennium at Laveen Betty H. Fairfax and Westview at Tolleson.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.