Joy Christian boys roll to easy hoops win over PCDS
Originally published: Jan 22, 2014 - 12:00 am
Glendale Joy Christian boys basketball coach Scott Brown likes to say his team is “painting a portrait’’ as the season moves along.
The portrait is taking shape and it is starting to resemble the one that told the story of the Eagles’ run to the Division IV state title last season.
They dominated host Phoenix Country Day School with a strong defensive effort and moved the ball around to the open man on offense for a 74-35 victory on Wednesday night (Jan. 22).
“We came into this game focusing on the defense,’’ Brown said. “Shane (Lewis, PCDS coach) has a good-shooting team, capable of hitting 3’s, and we needed to put pressure on them early.’’
It was the sixth straight win for Joy Christian, which is 12-7. Phoenix Country Day, the D-IV state title winner in 2012, slipped to 15-5.
Joy Christian had three men score in double figures – Josiah Stefanski (25 points), Cody Nicely (15) and Taliq Medley (14).
Guard Andrew Ekmark had 13 points, including 10 from the free-throw line.
After a 10-10 tie at the end of the first quarter, Joy Christian went on a 28-10 run in the second period and never looked back. The fourth quarter was played with a running clock, signifying Joy’s large lead.
“I think we are quicker than we were last year. That, and knowing what it takes late in the regular season and in the tournament hopefully will carry us,’’ Brown said.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.