Joy Christian boys roll to easy hoops win over PCDS
Originally published: Jan 22, 2014 - 12:00 am
Glendale Joy Christian boys basketball coach Scott Brown likes to say his team is “painting a portrait’’ as the season moves along.
The portrait is taking shape and it is starting to resemble the one that told the story of the Eagles’ run to the Division IV state title last season.
They dominated host Phoenix Country Day School with a strong defensive effort and moved the ball around to the open man on offense for a 74-35 victory on Wednesday night (Jan. 22).
“We came into this game focusing on the defense,’’ Brown said. “Shane (Lewis, PCDS coach) has a good-shooting team, capable of hitting 3’s, and we needed to put pressure on them early.’’
It was the sixth straight win for Joy Christian, which is 12-7. Phoenix Country Day, the D-IV state title winner in 2012, slipped to 15-5.
Joy Christian had three men score in double figures – Josiah Stefanski (25 points), Cody Nicely (15) and Taliq Medley (14).
Guard Andrew Ekmark had 13 points, including 10 from the free-throw line.
After a 10-10 tie at the end of the first quarter, Joy Christian went on a 28-10 run in the second period and never looked back. The fourth quarter was played with a running clock, signifying Joy’s large lead.
“I think we are quicker than we were last year. That, and knowing what it takes late in the regular season and in the tournament hopefully will carry us,’’ Brown said.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.