AIA statement about wrestling postseason
Originally published: Feb 10, 2014 - 12:00 am
PHOENIX, AZ (Feb. 10, 2014) – The AIA staff and the AIA Executive Board consider the health and safety of all students to be of the highest concern. The postponement of the sectional tournament last week was done based on advice and counsel received from medical, public health officials and experts within the national wrestling community. Based on that information, without dissent, the sectionals were postponed in order to reduce the risk of the spread of further skin related infection(s).
The AIA is currently working with public health officials to identify the nature of the infection(s), determine how widespread this may be, and incubation period(s). We will work closely with the schools and wrestling community to provide public health officials with all the information they are requesting. The AIA has requested that schools and families respond to Maricopa County public health officials as quickly as possible.
“We hope that this will come to a timely resolution. We realize that this was an inconvenience and disappointment for many and yet, reducing the possible spread of infection had to take priority,” says Chuck Schmidt, Associate Executive Director.
The AIA is making every effort to have by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 11, adequate direction from the above referenced experts to make an informed decision whether to move forward with the post-season tournament as early as Friday, Feb. 14. There will be no post-season wrestling tournament events taking place on Thursday, Feb. 13. We appreciate the patience and cooperation of the membership, parents and especially the students.
Media please contact Maricopa County Department of Public Health Contact Public Information Officer Jeanene Fowler; email@example.com; 602-722-1806, with any questions.
Schools please contact the Arizona Interscholastic Association with any questions.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.