Arizona wrestling tournaments to begin Saturday
PHOENIX -- Arizona state wrestling tournaments will begin Saturday after a jump in skin lesions caused officials to postpone it, the Arizona Interscholastic Association said Tuesday.
"We recognized that the postponement of the wrestling tournaments was an inconvenience but when compared to protecting the health and well-being of our students, it was a choice that had to be made," said AIA Executive Director Dr. Harold Slemmer in a release.
The Division III and IV tournaments will be held Saturday at Tim's Toyota Center in Prescott, Ariz. The Division I and II sectional tournaments will be held in their original locations and the championships will be held Feb. 21-22 at Tim's Toyota Center.
Earlier this week, the AIA said it became aware of the lesions and decided to postpone the tournaments in the interest of student safety.
"Until we can identify exactly what is going on and ascertain the extent of it we postponed the sectionals on [Saturday] and on Monday we will be consulting with public health officials and looking at what our next steps will be in order to maintain and ensure the safety of the kids and the people involved in the tournament," Chuck Schmidt, Chief Operating Officer of the AIA, said.
In a release, the Maricopa County Department of Health said 15 wrestlers across five schools were affected by the skin lesions.
The agency has yet to discover the the exact cause of the lesions but are hoping for a diagnosis within the "next few days."
Parents of wrestlers who are concerned about their child's skin should contact their doctor.
KTAR's Mark Remillard contributed to this report.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.