AIA statement with new wrestling tournament schedule
Originally published: Feb 11, 2014 - 12:00 am
Below is the statement the Arizona Interscholastic Association released Tuesday at about 3:30 p.m.:
PHOENIX, AZ (February 11, 2014) – After the investigation of the reported skin infections, the Arizona Interscholastic Association has rescheduled the Division III and IV state wrestling tournaments to Friday and Saturday, Feb. 14 and 15, at Tim’s Toyota Center in Prescott Valley, Ariz.
The Division I and II sectional wrestling tournaments have been rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 15, taking place at their original locations as well. The Division I and II state wrestling tournaments will be held on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 21 and 22, at Tim’s Toyota Center.
The complete schedule with full details for all divisions will be posted by noon tomorrow at:
“We recognize that the postponement of the wrestling tournaments was an inconvenience but when compared to protecting the health and well-being of our students, it was a choice that had to be made,” said AIA Executive Director, Dr. Harold Slemmer.
It is imperative that schools, parents and participants remain vigilant about preventing skin infections.
Any student playing a direct skin-to-skin contact sport is encouraged to inspect himself or herself at least once a day. If they have any questionable areas, they should let their coach know and be looked at by a physician so they can be given the proper treatment immediately.
Waiting could increase the opportunity for the infection to spread. Mats, practice clothes, headgear and the inside of gym bags should be cleaned daily.
Wrestlers should use antibiotic soap and always shower before leaving the gym. Some coaches also recommend a 4% solution of of chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) such as Hibiclens -- a surgical scrub soap -- to clean the skin.
It remains on the skin for 24 hours. Please see the following pages for the Maricopa County Department of Public Health information on skin infections in Athletes and status update.
Schools, please contact the Arizona Interscholastic Association with any questions.
For more resources, please visit the following links:
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.