AIA statement with new wrestling tournament schedule
Originally published: Feb 11, 2014 - 12:00 am
Below is the statement the Arizona Interscholastic Association released Tuesday at about 3:30 p.m.:
PHOENIX, AZ (February 11, 2014) – After the investigation of the reported skin infections, the Arizona Interscholastic Association has rescheduled the Division III and IV state wrestling tournaments to Friday and Saturday, Feb. 14 and 15, at Tim’s Toyota Center in Prescott Valley, Ariz.
The Division I and II sectional wrestling tournaments have been rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 15, taking place at their original locations as well. The Division I and II state wrestling tournaments will be held on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 21 and 22, at Tim’s Toyota Center.
The complete schedule with full details for all divisions will be posted by noon tomorrow at:
“We recognize that the postponement of the wrestling tournaments was an inconvenience but when compared to protecting the health and well-being of our students, it was a choice that had to be made,” said AIA Executive Director, Dr. Harold Slemmer.
It is imperative that schools, parents and participants remain vigilant about preventing skin infections.
Any student playing a direct skin-to-skin contact sport is encouraged to inspect himself or herself at least once a day. If they have any questionable areas, they should let their coach know and be looked at by a physician so they can be given the proper treatment immediately.
Waiting could increase the opportunity for the infection to spread. Mats, practice clothes, headgear and the inside of gym bags should be cleaned daily.
Wrestlers should use antibiotic soap and always shower before leaving the gym. Some coaches also recommend a 4% solution of of chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) such as Hibiclens -- a surgical scrub soap -- to clean the skin.
It remains on the skin for 24 hours. Please see the following pages for the Maricopa County Department of Public Health information on skin infections in Athletes and status update.
Schools, please contact the Arizona Interscholastic Association with any questions.
For more resources, please visit the following links:
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.