D-II girls hoops: Seton seeded No. 1, others could surprise
Originally published: Feb 18, 2014 - 12:00 am
The Division II state girls basketball tournament proved to be an exciting one in the 2012-13 season, as Scottsdale Saguaro emerged with the No. 8 seed and went all the way to claim the crown.
Will a similar situation occur this time around? The prospects are intriguing.
Saguaro was unable to earn a first-round bye on Feb. 19, and comes in at No. 10. The Sabercats will play host to No. 23 Phoenix Washington.
Saguaro is led by guards Casey Rarrick and Jelani Huma.
Chandler Seton Catholic, which reached the semifinals as the No. 2 seed a year ago, is the top seed this year.
No matter which division or section in which Seton competes, it always seems to be at the top of its game under Karen Self, one of the state’s top coaches.
Seton opens play in the second round on Feb. 21 along with the other top seven seeds that received first-round byes.
The seven are No. 2 Phoenix Sierra Linda, No. 3 Vail Cienega, No. 4 Phoenix Thunderbird, No. 5 Flagstaff Coconino, No. 6 Yuma Cibola, No. 7 Tucson Flowing Wells, and No. 8 Phoenix South Mountain.
South Mountain held the top spot for most of the second half of the regular season, but slipped to the No. 8 spot on the final list.
If you are looking for potential surprises, keep an eye on Thunderbird, Flowing Wells, No. 9 Tempe Marcos de Niza, No. 12 Buckeye or the winner of a first-round game on Feb. 19 between No. 18 Peoria and No. 15 Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain.
The quarterfinals will be held on Feb. 25 at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale. It also will be the site for the semifinals on Feb. 27 and the championship game on March 1.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.