D-III girls hoops: W. Rock, E Foothills, Fountain Hills win
Originally published: Feb 26, 2014 - 12:00 am
NO. 4 Window Rock never opened a large lead, but always kept a small one Wednesday morning in defeating No. 5 Thatcher, 52-45, in a Division III girls basketball quarterfinal at Tim's Toyota Center in Prescott Valley.
Window Rock was led by senior guard Naomi Klah with 16 points, right at her season's average. Teammate Nichole Benally added 10 points. Five other players scored between four and eight points. Thatcher was led by Kristie Baldwin with 15 points.
Window Rock led 14-10 after one period, 28-26 at haltime and 41-36 after three quarters. Thatcher got within four on several occasions in the fourth period, but offensive rebounds and free throws kept Window Rock in the driver's seat.
Window Rock advanced to the semifinals on Friday against the Page-Valley Christian winner at 6 p.m. at Jobing.com Arena.
ESTRELLA FOOTHILLS 44, PUSCH RIDGE 34: No. 6 Estrella Foothils outscored No. 3 Pusch Ridge 11-0 over the final 4:45 of the game to advance to the semifinals. Pusch Ridge led 30-27 heading to the fourth quarter, but made only 2 of 11 shots from the field in the final stanza.
Tristyn Dunivant's put back with 4:18 to play put EFH ahead to stay 35-34. Chantel Gregorio added four points, Cheyenne Nabity three and Esence Smith two to complete the run. Estrella Foothills faces the Fountain Hills-Winslow winner on Friday (Feb. 28) at 2:45 p.m. at Jobing.com Arena.
Nabity led EFH (24-5) with 14 points and Gregorio had 9. Gregorio tallied six in the fourth period. Junior guard Moriah Roters paced Pusch Ridge (25-6) with 15 points.
FOUNTAIN HILLS 53, WINSLOW 51: No. 7 Fountain HIlls opened the fourthy period with a 7-2 run, enough to give it room to post a victory over No. 2 Winslow. Winslow hit a long 3 at the buzzer to make the final closer than the final seconds indicated.
Brooke Yost poured in 17 points and Natalie Stilwell added 15 as Fountain HIlls reaaches the semifinals on Friday at 2:45 p.m. vs. Estrella Foothills at Jobing.com Arena. Yost had 10 of her 17 in the second half and Stilwell 11 of her 15 in the first half.
Winslow (23-4) got a game-high 21 points from Halle Hayes and 16 points frm Jacey Sangster.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.