D-III girls hoops: W. Rock, E Foothills, Fountain Hills win
Originally published: Feb 26, 2014 - 12:00 am
NO. 4 Window Rock never opened a large lead, but always kept a small one Wednesday morning in defeating No. 5 Thatcher, 52-45, in a Division III girls basketball quarterfinal at Tim's Toyota Center in Prescott Valley.
Window Rock was led by senior guard Naomi Klah with 16 points, right at her season's average. Teammate Nichole Benally added 10 points. Five other players scored between four and eight points. Thatcher was led by Kristie Baldwin with 15 points.
Window Rock led 14-10 after one period, 28-26 at haltime and 41-36 after three quarters. Thatcher got within four on several occasions in the fourth period, but offensive rebounds and free throws kept Window Rock in the driver's seat.
Window Rock advanced to the semifinals on Friday against the Page-Valley Christian winner at 6 p.m. at Jobing.com Arena.
ESTRELLA FOOTHILLS 44, PUSCH RIDGE 34: No. 6 Estrella Foothils outscored No. 3 Pusch Ridge 11-0 over the final 4:45 of the game to advance to the semifinals. Pusch Ridge led 30-27 heading to the fourth quarter, but made only 2 of 11 shots from the field in the final stanza.
Tristyn Dunivant's put back with 4:18 to play put EFH ahead to stay 35-34. Chantel Gregorio added four points, Cheyenne Nabity three and Esence Smith two to complete the run. Estrella Foothills faces the Fountain Hills-Winslow winner on Friday (Feb. 28) at 2:45 p.m. at Jobing.com Arena.
Nabity led EFH (24-5) with 14 points and Gregorio had 9. Gregorio tallied six in the fourth period. Junior guard Moriah Roters paced Pusch Ridge (25-6) with 15 points.
FOUNTAIN HILLS 53, WINSLOW 51: No. 7 Fountain HIlls opened the fourthy period with a 7-2 run, enough to give it room to post a victory over No. 2 Winslow. Winslow hit a long 3 at the buzzer to make the final closer than the final seconds indicated.
Brooke Yost poured in 17 points and Natalie Stilwell added 15 as Fountain HIlls reaaches the semifinals on Friday at 2:45 p.m. vs. Estrella Foothills at Jobing.com Arena. Yost had 10 of her 17 in the second half and Stilwell 11 of her 15 in the first half.
Winslow (23-4) got a game-high 21 points from Halle Hayes and 16 points frm Jacey Sangster.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.