D1 boys hoops: Perry, Pinnacle, Dobson, CDS to semifinals
Originally published: Feb 27, 2014 - 12:00 am
No. 4 Perry shook off a rusty start Thursday, overcoming an 11-0 deficit early in the first period to edge No. 5 Sunnyslope in the final minute, 54-49, in the Division I boys state basketball tournament at ASU's Wells Fargo Arena.
Perry advances to the state tournament semifinals for the first time in the school's brief history on Friday (Feb. 28). Perry faces Corona del Sol at 7:45 p.m. at Wells Fargo. Senior forward Jake Mortensen made two free throws with 1:25 left to snap a 49-49 tie after the team's traded leads a couple times in the final two minutes. Freshman guard Markus Howard added three free throws in the final 37 seconds for the final margin. Howard netted a game-high 25 points, including nine in the fourth period.
Perry outscored Sunnyslope, 31-19, in the second half and 20-13 in the fourth period. Mortensen and Jordan Howard added nine points each for Perry (26-5). Sunnyslope got 18 points from Sammy Barnes-Thompkins -- 15 in the first half. Barnes-Thompkins was the key to Sunnyslope's 11-0 getaway. Barnes-Thompkins batteld foul trouble in the second half and fouled out in the final two minutes. Sunnyslope's Stanford-bound center Michael Humphrey finished with 15 points.
PINNACLE 69, GILBERT 57: Dorian Pickens scored 36 points and led a third-quarter charge along with fellow senior Trey Ingram as No. 3 Pinnacle topped Gilbert at Wells Fargo Arena. It's the second year in a row Pinnacle eliminated Gilbert in the quarterfinals.
Pinnacle (22-9) advances to the semifinals to face Dobson, a 58-38 winner over Hamilton, on Friday (Feb. 28) at 4:15 p.m at Wells Fargo Arena. It's the fourth year in a row Pinnacle has reached the semis or better. Gilbert finished up 21-7.
Pinnacle led 29-26 at halftime in a game tight the first 16 minutes. But Pickens and Ingram combined for Pinnacle's first 15 points of the third period, helping along a 12-0 run that broke the game open. Pickens scored 14 points in the third period and made 10 of his first 13 shots in the game. HIs final shooting numbers were 15 of 22 with 4 3s. Ingram provided 15 points, the only other Pinnacle player in double figures.
Gilbert was led by Spencer Nicolds and Anthony Bryant with 14 points apiece.
DOBSON 58, HAMILTON 38: An early helping of 3-point shooting started No. 2 Dobson (24-7) on its way to a rout of No. 7 Hamilton at Wells Fargo Arena. It means a third trip to the semifinals for Dobson in school history. The other seasons were 2000-2001 (loss to Brophy) and 2004-2005 (loss to St. Mary's). Hamilton finished the season 24-4.
Dobson, shooting just under 45 percent for the season from 3-point range, made 4 of 6 in the opening quarter to build a 16-8 advantage. Ryan Richardson led Dobson with 23 points and connected on 5 3s in the game. Kodi Justice added 13 points, 11 in the second half. Dobson made 9 of 22 3s for the game (40 percent).
Dobson extended its lead to 30-14 at halftime and led 47-31 after three period. Hamilton shot just 22 percent the first half and didn''t improve nearly enough in the second half to make a run at Dobson. Dobson has won 17 of its last 18 games under coach Rick McConnell now in his 30th year as Dobson's head coach. Dobson faces Pinnacle in the semis for the third time this season.
Hamilton was led by James Sosinski with eight points and Zach Evans and Deonte Harrington with seven points apiece.
CORONA DEL SOL 71, MOUNTAIN VIEW 54: Top-seed Corona completed the run of top seeds reaching the semifinals, jumping on No. 9 Mountain View quickly to eliminate the Toros. The 1-2-3 and 4 seeds all advanced to the final four.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.