Softball: Dobson goes to 3-0, tops Marcos de Niza in tourney
Originally published: Mar 10, 2014 - 12:00 am
Dobson girls softball team didn't have much luck in its first tournament 10 days ago (the rain-shortened Marcos-Dobson Invitationa), but has found the going better the past couple days at the Marcos de Niza-McClintock Invitational.
Dobson erupted for 13 run and setnt 17 batters to the plate in the third inning Monday morning to knock off host Marcos de Niza, 19-5, in a tourney game shortened to five innings by the 10-run rule.
Dobson improved to 4-5 on the season and won its third game in as many tries in tournament pool play. Dobson knocked off Vista Grande and Poston Butte on the initial day of play on Saturday.
"We're playing better and really hitting well," Dobson coach Jeff Sherrer said. "We've played better defense, too."
Dobson spotted Marcos de Niza a 1-0 lead in the top of the first, but came back for three runs of its own in the bottom of the frame. That 3-1 lead held up until the third inning when nine hits, two walks, a hit batter and two errors had the host Lady Padres reeling.
The big day at the plate belonged to Dobson third baseman Kelly Stumper and outfielder Alyssa Thibodeau. Stumper went 4-for-4 with two doubles, a triple, a single and four RBI. She also scored four times. Stumper was playing despite a bad hamstring and sore ACL. Stumper had some added pain when she dove for a ball down the line in the fourth and it took a bad hop and clipped her in the face. She remained in the game and was able to add her fourth hit.
Thibodeau stroked a pair of two-run doubles and a sacrifice fly. She finished with five RBI. Had the center-field fences at MDN's south field not been 220 feet, Dobson may well have had four or five home runs.
Dobson plays again on Monday afternoon and faces off then against Perry. Perry was playing Cesar Chavez in a noon start. If Perry prevails, it and Dobson would both be 3-0 heading to their afternoon showdown. The winner likely will earn a trip to the tournament final on Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m. at Marcos de Niza.
Dobson lefty Samantha Zamora went the distance without being overpowering. Zamora didn't walk a batter or strike a batter out. She led her defense make the plays. Dobson committed two errors, but only one by Zamora helped prolong an inning.
Also collecting multiple hits for Dobson were Alycea Chacon (two), Mariah Parks (two) and Kelsey Moron (two). Moron had three RBI and Parks had two. Marcos de Niza, which was outhit 13-8, was led by Korynn Molina with a triple, single and RBI.
In the other early game at Marcos de Niza, Vista Grande beat Poston Butte, 12-1. The morning games at McClintock High saw Skyline top McClintock, 10-1 and Williams Field outslug Casa Grande, 14-8. Skyline is the lone unbeaten team in the McClintock pool at 3-0. The Lady Coyotes faced Mesquite in a noon contest on Monday. Should Skyline beat Mesquite, it will clinch a berth in Wednesday's title game at Marcos de Niza.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.