Baseball: Desert Vista punches ticket to Mesquite title game
Originally published: Mar 12, 2014 - 12:00 am
Desert Vista continued its offensive assault Wednesday morning it carried the Thunder to the Mesquite Invitational title game.
Desert Vista scored 11 times in the final two innings to post a 13-5 victory over Bashain Gilbert Pool playt at Gilbert High.
Desert Vista finished pool play 4-0, scoring 53 runs in its games. I essentially tallied is average (13 runs) in Wednesday's triumph. Desert Vista advances to the championship game Thursday (March 13) at 3:30 p.m. at Mesquite High. The Thunder face either Desert Ridge or Red Mountain, one of which will be the Mesquite pool champion once play concludes Wednesday afternoon.
Desert Vista collected eight of its 15 hits in the sixth and seventh innings, stringing together five hits to score four runs in the sixth and take a 6-5 lead. An RBI single by Kyle Gibbs, two-run single by Alex Farina and a pinch-hit, RBI double by Chris Gallagher put the Thunder in front.
That rally and a seven-run, seventh inning made a winner of Desert Vista starter Ryan Berry. Berry worked 5 1/3 innings allowing three earned runs (five total), walking none and striking out five. A combination of wild pitches and passed balls contributed to Basha's run output.
Basha's defense kept starter Tyler Chase from a rough start the first two innings. Catcher Cameron Shanks threw out two base runners attempting to steal and right fielder Tanner Welch gunned down a runner tagging to go from second to third.
Leading Desert Vista's offense was Gibbs (3-for-3 and Farina with two hits and four RBI, all in the final two innings, Cullen Bottock, Zach Hardy and Isiah Deutsch each had two hits for the Thunder.
Jesus Daal led Basha going 3-for-4 with an RBI triple. Basha dropped to 2-1 in pool play and played a later game Wednesday against Gilbert High to determine the Gilbert Pool No. 2 seed.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.