O'Connor puts hitting shoes back on, defeats Oregon team
Originally published: Mar 25, 2014 - 12:00 am
After being forced off course by a loss to Fayetteville, Ark., on Monday (March 24), Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor’s baseball team found a winning route on Tuesday (March 25) and took a 10-0 triumph at home in five innings (10-run rule) over Lake Oswego, Ore., as the Coach Bob National Invitational Tournament continued in the Valley.
SDO’s record in the tournament improved to 4-1, and its overall mark is 9-3. The Eagles continue tourney play with two games on Wednesday (March 26) against Elizabeth, Colo., and Pine Creek High of Colorado Springs.
The Eagles pounded out 15 hits, five coming in the first inning when they scored six runs.
“It was a tough game for us last night (Fayetteville). We couldn’t get many hits, but we were able to come back today and score,’’ said SDO coach Jeff Baumgartner. “The fact that we were able to get those six runs early helped us relax and focus. Our players have a lot of pride in their hitting.’’
The team spread the wealth with its hits and its RBIs. Greg Saenz drove in two in the first, Cameron Ming drove in a run in the third, and Max Peters drove in one with a sacrifice fly in the fourth and what proved to be the decisive run with a single in the bottom of the fifth.
Sophomore left-hander Tanner Baker had a strong game on the mound, giving up two hits.
Baumgartner said Baker was making his second start of the year. He has not allowed any runs as a starter and only one as a reliever.
Prior to the loss to Fayetteville, SDO had defeated Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas, Yreka (Calif.) and Americas (El Paso).
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.