O'Connor puts hitting shoes back on, defeats Oregon team
Originally published: Mar 25, 2014 - 12:00 am
After being forced off course by a loss to Fayetteville, Ark., on Monday (March 24), Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor’s baseball team found a winning route on Tuesday (March 25) and took a 10-0 triumph at home in five innings (10-run rule) over Lake Oswego, Ore., as the Coach Bob National Invitational Tournament continued in the Valley.
SDO’s record in the tournament improved to 4-1, and its overall mark is 9-3. The Eagles continue tourney play with two games on Wednesday (March 26) against Elizabeth, Colo., and Pine Creek High of Colorado Springs.
The Eagles pounded out 15 hits, five coming in the first inning when they scored six runs.
“It was a tough game for us last night (Fayetteville). We couldn’t get many hits, but we were able to come back today and score,’’ said SDO coach Jeff Baumgartner. “The fact that we were able to get those six runs early helped us relax and focus. Our players have a lot of pride in their hitting.’’
The team spread the wealth with its hits and its RBIs. Greg Saenz drove in two in the first, Cameron Ming drove in a run in the third, and Max Peters drove in one with a sacrifice fly in the fourth and what proved to be the decisive run with a single in the bottom of the fifth.
Sophomore left-hander Tanner Baker had a strong game on the mound, giving up two hits.
Baumgartner said Baker was making his second start of the year. He has not allowed any runs as a starter and only one as a reliever.
Prior to the loss to Fayetteville, SDO had defeated Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas, Yreka (Calif.) and Americas (El Paso).
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.