Day 2 of MLB draft tabs RHP Farris, RHP Kipper in 9th round
Originally published: Jun 6, 2014 - 12:00 am
University of Arizona right-hander James Farris was the first of two former Arizona prep players selected on Friday (June 6) on the second day of the annual Major League Baseball Draft. Farris was followed closely by Texas Christian pitcher Jordan Kipper.
Farris, who prepped two seasons at Gilbert's Highland High after moving there from Nebraska, was drafted in the ninth round by the Chicago Cubs with pick No. 259. Farris was drafted last year as a junior at UofA by Houston in the 15th round, but opted to stay at Arizona for his senior year. He was the starting pitcher two years ago in the deciding game of the College World Series won by the Wildcats. Farris tossed 7 2/3 innings in that game with a no-decision.
Taken 10 picks later at No. 269 was right-hander Kipper. Kipper prepped at Mountain Pointe and was a member of the 2011 big-school state title team. Kipper drove in the winning run in that game. It's the third time Kipper has been drafted. He was selected in the 39th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2011, but opted to play at Central Arizona College. Kipper was taken again in 2012 in the 30th round by Philadelphia, but chose to move on to TCU. He is a junior for TCU, which is currently playing in the NCAA Super Regional against Pepperdine.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.