Valley Vista Monsoon ready to move in on the football field
Originally published: Jun 16, 2014 - 12:00 am
At Valley Vista High in Surprise, it’s always Monsoon season.
Things are heating up on the football field as the Monsoon participate in summer passing competition, most recently at Arizona State. The team also plays host to schools from the northwest and west Valley on Tuesdays in June.
Josh Sekoch, entering his third season as head coach after two seasons as the team’s defensive coordinator and the head coach at Phoenix Shadow Mountain, is optimistic about how his team is playing.
“We’re looking pretty good right now,’’ he said.
The Monsoon finished 8-3 and 5-5 in Sekoch’s first two seasons, and he is looking for a return to playoff contention.
The team is led by a pair of two-way players and three-year starters Mondo McCoy and Malik Moody. Both play wide receiver and cornerback.
Chris Harris serves as a big pass-catching target at 6-feet-4 and 180 pounds. He made some acrobatic mid-air catches in the competition at ASU.
The battle for the starting quarterback job appears to be between Damien Alarcon and Keil Abdullah.
“Just about everything we do in these passing competitions is all for the quarterbacks,’’ Sekoch said. “You want them to have better progression, get rid of the ball fast if necessary. The defense, not so much – a lot of times out here, you will run coverages you probably wouldn’t run in a game.’’
Still, with McCoy and Moody as the back line of defense, the Monsoon appear to be in capable hands.
The defensive line will be anchored by big man Abram Cook.
The team will have its preseason camp a little later this year than in past years. In the past, the team would start in mid-July and have about a two-week break before classes would begin. This year, the camp will be held at the end of July and the players will move right on into the start of school.
“It helps with the flow and the continuity, not having to stop and then start back up so much,’’ Sekoch said.
Valley Vista’s preseason camp will be at Camp Tontozona east of Payson, where ASU holds some of its preseason workouts.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.