Valley Vista Monsoon ready to move in on the football field
Originally published: Jun 16, 2014 - 12:00 am
At Valley Vista High in Surprise, it’s always Monsoon season.
Things are heating up on the football field as the Monsoon participate in summer passing competition, most recently at Arizona State. The team also plays host to schools from the northwest and west Valley on Tuesdays in June.
Josh Sekoch, entering his third season as head coach after two seasons as the team’s defensive coordinator and the head coach at Phoenix Shadow Mountain, is optimistic about how his team is playing.
“We’re looking pretty good right now,’’ he said.
The Monsoon finished 8-3 and 5-5 in Sekoch’s first two seasons, and he is looking for a return to playoff contention.
The team is led by a pair of two-way players and three-year starters Mondo McCoy and Malik Moody. Both play wide receiver and cornerback.
Chris Harris serves as a big pass-catching target at 6-feet-4 and 180 pounds. He made some acrobatic mid-air catches in the competition at ASU.
The battle for the starting quarterback job appears to be between Damien Alarcon and Keil Abdullah.
“Just about everything we do in these passing competitions is all for the quarterbacks,’’ Sekoch said. “You want them to have better progression, get rid of the ball fast if necessary. The defense, not so much – a lot of times out here, you will run coverages you probably wouldn’t run in a game.’’
Still, with McCoy and Moody as the back line of defense, the Monsoon appear to be in capable hands.
The defensive line will be anchored by big man Abram Cook.
The team will have its preseason camp a little later this year than in past years. In the past, the team would start in mid-July and have about a two-week break before classes would begin. This year, the camp will be held at the end of July and the players will move right on into the start of school.
“It helps with the flow and the continuity, not having to stop and then start back up so much,’’ Sekoch said.
Valley Vista’s preseason camp will be at Camp Tontozona east of Payson, where ASU holds some of its preseason workouts.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.