Top 20 most dominant Arizona high school football teams in the MaxPreps era
Source: AIA Blogs
Originally published: Jul 1, 2014 - 12:00 am
Originally published: Jul 1, 2014 - 12:00 am
Photo by Mark JonesIt has been 10 years now that MaxPreps has put out football computer rankings, presented by the Army National Guard.
Hamilton is the top dynasty in Arizona in the MaxPreps era, including its title-game appearance last season.
That's plenty of time to come up with a solid list of which programs have been the most dominant during the MaxPreps era.
For the purpose of the rankings, each team will be awarded points based off where it finished in the computer rankings after each season. For example, if a team finished No. 1 overall it receives 25 points. If the team finished No. 25 overall, it would get one point. A team also receives 30 points for winning a state title and 15 for being the runner-up.
Take the conversation to Twitter: Follow @MaxPreps
View Arizona rankings for the past 10 years
Most dominant Arizona football programs in the MaxPreps era
1. Hamilton (Chandler) - 464 Points
Overall record: 129-11
The Huskies have won six state title games in the past 10 years, and have not fallen outside of the Top 5 in the state rankings since 2004.
2. Saguaro (Scottsdale) - 338
Overall record: 112-21
The Sabercats finished No. 1 overall in back to back years, 2007 and 2008 after capturing the 4A Div. I state title in both years. They have fallen outside the Top 5 only once.
3. Centennial (Peoria) - 330
Overall record: 122-14
Centennial accomplished the rare three-peat, winning 5A Div. II state titles from 2006-08.
4. Chaparral (Scottsdale) - 300
Overall record: 114-22
Chaparral has been in five state title games since 2004, finishing on top from 2009-11, and as runner-up in 2008 and 2013.
5. Blue Ridge (Lakeside) - 294
Overall record: 120-13
The Yellow Jackets claimed the No.1 spot in the rankings and a state title in 2004. Since 2004 they have won three more Div. 3 state titles, 2009, 2011, and 2013.
6. Brophy College Prep (Phoenix) - 236
Overall record: 98-32
Brophy captured 5A Div. I titles in 2005 and 2007. The Broncos also finished as a runner-up in 2008.
7. Cactus (Glendale) - 195
Overall record: 98-26
Cactus won state titles in 2005, and 2009. The Cobras finished ranked No. 1 overall in the state once.
8. Coolidge - 160
Overall record: 89-29
Coolidge won back to back state titles in 2005 and 2006. They finished ranked No.6 in both of those years.
9. Canyon del Oro (Tucson) - 141
Overall record: 97-25
The Dorados did not fall outside of the Top 10 from 2007-10. They reached the No. 2 spot in 2009 after claiming a 4A Div. I state title.
10. Desert Vista (Phoenix) - 138
Overall record: 73-44
In 2011 the Thunder capped their best season since 2004, knocking off Hamilton in the Div. I state championship game. They have three Top 10 finishes.
11. Show Low - 134
Overall record: 91-32
Show Low has two 3A state title since 2004. They also have one runner-up finish in 2011.
12. Valley Christian (Chandler) - 133
Overall record: 82-34
Valley Christian has finished in the Top 25 three times, and captured two state titles in the past 10 years.
13. Salpointe Catholic (Tucson) - 116
Overall record: 97-23
In 2013 the Lancers defeated Chaparral to claim their first state title in the past 10 years. They ranked No. 2 in the state at the end of the season.
14. Mountain View (Mesa) - 109
Overall record: 82-37
Mountain View has been ranked in the Top 25 eight of the past ten years. They reached No. 4 in 2006.
15. Chandler - 106
Overall record: 79-38
The Wolves have only missed the Top 25 rankings twice in the past ten years. They finished No. 5 twice, in 2006 and 2013.
16. Queen Creek - 103
Overall record: 89-34
Queen Creek captured a Div. III state title in 2012 and finished the year ranked No. 5 in Arizona.
17. Desert Ridge (Mesa) - 99
Overall record: 70-50
Desert Ridge landed themselves inside the Top 10 in four consecutive years from 2010-13.
18. Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale) - 97
Overall record: 74-44
The Saints won back to back 4A Div. II state titles in 2007 and 2008. They finished inside the Top 15 in both of those years.
19. Mountain Pointe (Phoenix) - 94
Overall record: 77-39
In 2013 the Pride claimed the No. 1 ranking, and undefeated season, and their first state title since 2004. They have finished inside the Top 10 in four of the past ten seasons.
20. Northwest Christian (Phoenix) - 90
Overall record: 78-35
Northwest Christian has managed accumulate only three blemishes on their record from 2010-12, resulting in two state titles in that same period.
Upcoming Games Streaming Live
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
Arizona Sports Preps 365
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.