Taurasi leads short-handed Mercury past Fever
DeWanna Bonner added 24 points and 11 rebounds for the Mercury (1-3), who were without leading scorer Brittney Griner. Griner, selected No. 1 overall by Phoenix in this year's WNBA draft, was a late scratch from the lineup with a left knee sprain.
In Griner's absence, Taurasi stepped up to help the Mercury get their first win. She routinely found the open spot on the floor, shooting 9 for 19 from the field and 4 for 11 on 3-pointers. Taurasi also had five assists and four rebounds.
Shavonte Zellous had a season-high 29 points on 10-of-13 shooting for the Fever (1-3), who suffered its third consecutive loss. Indiana was again without All-Star Katie Douglas (back).
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury - Thursday May 15Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner speaks on WNBA uniform changes and her new memoir.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury - Thursday January 23Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury, talks about landing the WNBA All-Star Gam
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.