Taurasi, Griner lead Mercury over Mystics, 90-82
After trailing by 13, Washington went on a 13-2 run over three minutes of the fourth quarter to get within 80-78 with 3:21 remaining, but missed shots on back-to-back possessions in the final three minutes allowed Phoenix to pull away.
Taurasi added five assists and five rebounds for the Mercury (4-4), who have won four of their last five after losing their first three games. Griner, the No. 1 draft pick, also had four rebounds in her 26 minutes.
Ivory Latta had 22 points and five assists for the Mystics (4-3), who trailed by double digits in the second and third quarters. Matee Ajavon had 18 points and Monique Currie add 17 points and eight rebounds for Washington.
Candice Dupree added 12 points and six rebounds for the Mercury, who doubled the Mystics inside 44-22.
Both teams had won three straight before losing earlier in the week.
Phoenix shot 59 percent - 20 of 34 - in the first half in taking a 49-38 lead at the break. Taurasi had 17 points and three assists while Griner scored 13 points in 13 minutes as the Mercury started to find the No. 1 draft pick inside. At one point, 26 of Phoenix's 31 points came from in the paint.
The Mercury, the second best shooting team in the WNBA, ended the night 32 of 62 from the field (52 percent), their best night of the season.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury - Thursday January 23Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury, talks about landing the WNBA All-Star Gam
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.
- Russ Pennell, Phoenix Mercury Interim head coach - Friday August 9Russ Pennell joins Doug and Chuck to talk about taking over the team.