Parker leads Sparks to win over Mercury
PHOENIX — Candace Parker had 21 points, eight rebounds and five assists to lead the Los Angeles Sparks to their fifth straight win, an 88-76 victory Sunday over the Phoenix Mercury.
Nneka Ogwumike added 16 points and 13 rebounds for the Sparks, who have beaten their last five opponents by an average of 18.6 points a game after a 5-4 start.
Phoenix (8-7) played its second straight game without No. 1 draft pick Brittney Griner, who has a sore left knee injured June 6 against Minnesota.
Los Angeles took control early with a 13-point run in the first quarter and then held off Phoenix rallies in the second and third quarters.
Diana Taurasi had 23 points, including three 3-pointers, to lead the Mercury, who have lost three straight after winning five in a row. DeWanna Bonner added 17 points and four rebounds for Phoenix.
Lindsey Harding added 15 points and five assists for the Sparks (10-4), the top scoring and best shooting team in the league, whose transition game led to 21 fast-break points on Sunday.
Ogwumike scored four points in a seven-point spurt midway through the third quarter that gave Los Angeles separation. The team had traded baskets to start the period but Ogwumike's layup made it 60-47.
Parker scored 14 first-half points to lead the Sparks to a 43-37 advantage at the break.
Taurasi quickly picked up two fouls in the first 3:10 of the game and Phoenix missed 11 of its first 14 shots, trailing 20-13 after the first quarter.
The Mercury beat the Sparks 97-81 on June 14.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.
- Russ Pennell, Phoenix Mercury Interim head coach - Friday August 9Russ Pennell joins Doug and Chuck to talk about taking over the team.
- Amber Cox, President & COO of the Phoenix Mercury, Corey Gaines, Head Coach - Wednesday February 13Cox and Gaines come to the studio to talk about the promise of the Phoenix Mercury team.
- Amber Cox, Phoenix Mercury President and COO - Tuesday February 14Amber Cox joins Doug and Wolf to talk about the unique qualities of the WNBA, and what the Phoenix M