Johnson, Thompson lead Storm past Mercury
SEATTLE -— Temeka Johnson and Tina Thompson each scored 16 points and the Seattle Storm used a big third quarter to beat the Phoenix Mercury 88-79 on Thursday night.
Tanisha Wright added 14 points and seven assists, while Tianna Hawkins had 13 points as the Storm (8-10) rallied from a 13-point deficit in the first half. Thompson had seven rebounds and Johnson added seven assists.
Seattle shot 11 for 26 (42 percent) on 3-pointers while outscoring Phoenix 33-9 from beyond the arc.
DeWanna Bonner had 19 points and nine rebounds and Candice Dupree added 16 points and 10 boards to lead the Mercury (9-10). Rookie Brittney Griner scored 11 points for Phoenix.
The Storm didn't take their first lead until 2½ minutes into the second half, when Shekinna Stricklen's 3-pointer from the wing put them ahead 48-46.
The Storm missed their first six shots of the game, fell behind 7-0 and eventually trailed by double digits before using 7-of-15 shooting on 3s to pull within three at halftime.
Seattle then outscored Phoenix 28-16 in the third — including an 8-0 run — to take control.
Phoenix's Diana Taurasi finished with 10 points on 3-of-10 shooting before fouling out with 2:59 remaining. Taurasi picked up her final three fouls in a span of less than 4 minutes after re-entering the game with 6:58 remaining.
Thompson scored 10 of her 16 points in the second quarter.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury - Thursday May 15Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner speaks on WNBA uniform changes and her new memoir.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury - Thursday January 23Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury, talks about landing the WNBA All-Star Gam
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.