Taurasi, Dupree lead Mercury past Atlanta
Angel McCoughtry finished with 25 points and Erika de Souza had 12 points and 10 rebounds for the Dream (17-14). The loss ended Atlanta's three-game winning streak.
Phoenix (17-13) never trailed after Taurasi's layup midway through the first quarter.
Tiffany Hayes, who scored 19 points off the bench for Atlanta, cut the lead to 74-67 with a 3-pointer. But in the last 3 minutes, she had a turnover and missed two layups and two 3s.
McCoughtry, the WNBA's leading scorer, hit a free throw to cut the lead to 74-71, but she missed a 3 and a 20-footer before fouling out with 25.8 seconds to go.
Centers Brittney Griner and de Souza tangled at the 6:46 mark of the third and had to be separated by officials and teammates.
Griner was assessed a technical foul, but Atlanta failed to cut the lead to single digits when McCoughtry missed the ensuing free throw and Armintie Herrington threw the ball away to end the Dream's possession.
Over the next 2 minutes, Griner hit an 8-foot hook shot, Taurasi hit two jumpers and Bonner scored a 3-pointer that made it 59-42.
Griner finished with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
The Mercury led by as much as 19 in the second quarter on Taurasi's 15-footer midway through the period, but Atlanta closed with an 18-6 run to cut the lead to six on McCoughtry's 3-pointer.
Taurasi, the league's second-leading scorer, had a season-tying nine rebounds and six assists.
McCoughtry was just 8 for 21 from the field and Dream starter Jasmine Thomas went 3 for 13.
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.
- Russ Pennell, Phoenix Mercury Interim head coach - Friday August 9Russ Pennell joins Doug and Chuck to talk about taking over the team.
- Amber Cox, President & COO of the Phoenix Mercury, Corey Gaines, Head Coach - Wednesday February 13Cox and Gaines come to the studio to talk about the promise of the Phoenix Mercury team.
- Amber Cox, Phoenix Mercury President and COO - Tuesday February 14Amber Cox joins Doug and Wolf to talk about the unique qualities of the WNBA, and what the Phoenix M