Updated Dec 19, 2012 - 2:21 pm
Fifth grade basketball phenom starting for HS team
Newman is averaging 12.4 points and 11 assists per game for tiny Downey Christian School in Orlando -- certainly worthy stats for a scholarship offer.
The thing is, Newman is only in fifth grade, so he's still eight years away from college basketball.
Newman is starting for the varsity team at Downey, and it's not because they don't have enough players. This kid can really play.
According to MaxPreps, Newman had 17 points and 14 assists in his first game this season -- a 107-33 win over Pace on December 6.
The 4-foot-5 guard has helped Downey to a 2-2 record to start the season.
- Young fan with popcorn bucket hat gets hit by ball, falls onto field
- Dish Network hits it out of the park again with new 'Back to College' spot
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson takes Ice Bucket Challenge, tweets for first time in months
- A star-studded reminder to pre-order Madden NFL 15
- Former ASU quarterback, congressional candidate Andrew Walter takes Ice Bucket Challenge