Updated Dec 19, 2012 - 2:21 pm
Fifth grade basketball phenom starting for HS team
Newman is averaging 12.4 points and 11 assists per game for tiny Downey Christian School in Orlando -- certainly worthy stats for a scholarship offer.
The thing is, Newman is only in fifth grade, so he's still eight years away from college basketball.
Newman is starting for the varsity team at Downey, and it's not because they don't have enough players. This kid can really play.
According to MaxPreps, Newman had 17 points and 14 assists in his first game this season -- a 107-33 win over Pace on December 6.
The 4-foot-5 guard has helped Downey to a 2-2 record to start the season.
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- High school hockey player executes earth-shattering clothesline on opponent
- Ken Griffey Jr. not exactly thrilled during this interview
- Roger, Roger: Kareem reprises his Airplane! role for Wisconsin ad
- Sun Devil football trolls their in-state rival