Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 8:02 am
The buzzer beater of all buzzer beaters
The conclusion of Saturday night's New York Section 1 Class AA final between New Rochelle High School and Mt. Vernon High School falls into the latter category.
With less than two seconds to go, Mount Vernon intercepted an inbounds pass and was mere moments away from a 60-58 section championship victory when Knights guard Devonte Banner channeled his inner Michael Ruffin and simply threw the ball in the air.
In one fluid motion, New Rochelle senior Khalil Edney, also the school's starting quarterback, caught the ball and from 60 feet away drained the game-winning heave.
The basket was initially ruled no good, but after further review Edney and the Huguenots were declared the winner.
Not bad for a No. 9 seed.
It should also be noted that New Rochelle was down by 10 with less than three minutes to go in the contest and finished the game on a 12-1 run.
Talk about an improbable finish.
- Get your 'Johnny Clipboard' t-shirts here!
- Young fan with popcorn bucket hat gets hit by ball, falls onto field
- Dish Network hits it out of the park again with new 'Back to College' spot
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson takes Ice Bucket Challenge, tweets for first time in months
- A star-studded reminder to pre-order Madden NFL 15