Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 8:02 am
The buzzer beater of all buzzer beaters
The conclusion of Saturday night's New York Section 1 Class AA final between New Rochelle High School and Mt. Vernon High School falls into the latter category.
With less than two seconds to go, Mount Vernon intercepted an inbounds pass and was mere moments away from a 60-58 section championship victory when Knights guard Devonte Banner channeled his inner Michael Ruffin and simply threw the ball in the air.
In one fluid motion, New Rochelle senior Khalil Edney, also the school's starting quarterback, caught the ball and from 60 feet away drained the game-winning heave.
The basket was initially ruled no good, but after further review Edney and the Huguenots were declared the winner.
Not bad for a No. 9 seed.
It should also be noted that New Rochelle was down by 10 with less than three minutes to go in the contest and finished the game on a 12-1 run.
Talk about an improbable finish.
- Justin Bieber pays visit to Rick Barnes, UT basketball team
- Dad of the Year candidate gets souvenir at Florida spring training game
- Obscure your eyes, the LA KISS have unveiled their uniforms
- Wichita State's MVC t-shirts shockingly flawed
- High school hockey player executes earth-shattering clothesline on opponent