Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 9:47 am
Video of Cardinals rookie on treadmill goes viral
Robert Gill, a 5-foot-10 wide receiver, has yet to play in the NFL and may not make the Cardinals' final roster, according to NBC Sports, but his speed is making everyone do a double take.
The Cardinals' website said Gill is the oldest rookie currently on an NFL roster. Since playing ball at Texas State, Gill has bounced around several lower-level professional leagues, including the Canadian Football League (where he never saw the field) and the Arena Football League, last playing from 2011 to 2012 for the now-defunct Kansas City Command. Gill's coach in Kansas City, Danton Barto, now a scout with the St. Louis Rams, compared his speed to Deion Sanders.
Cardinals scout Josh Scobey invited Gill for a tryout earlier this year. After his first day at the team's mini-camp in April, Gill was offered a three-year contract by the team.
"He has an element you can't teach, which is speed," Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim said. "The fact that he's a 29-year-old rookie who has taken the long road to get here says a lot about his passion, desire and overall commitment to the game."
The treadmill video is not the first to tout his speed. Gill has posted several videos of himself on YouTube titled "The Fastest Man in Arena Football."
He even tweeted the treadmill video directly to Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians.
It's doubtful Gill will see the Arena-to-NFL success that Kurt Warner had, but Cardinals coaches are liking what they see so far, and there may be a spot for him on the roster come September.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.