Venom Vision: Archie Bradley and other top prospects
The Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation is a bit of mess coming out of the All-Star break, but if Kevin Towers and Co. can't fill a rotation need with a trade and guys like Ian Kennedy and Trevor Cahill still aren't getting the job done down the stretch, they should look in the direction of Randall Delgado and Tyler Skaggs.
It may not be as sexy as what the Los Angeles Dodgers will throw out over the final 60-plus games, but sacrificing the confidence of a long-term gem by throwing him into the fire to try and fix a short-term problem is not a smart baseball move.
If the D-backs don't win the division this year because they didn't land a big fish and instead resorted to the starting pitchers they already have on their roster, I can live with that.
If it means not rushing Archie Bradley until he's ready, well, then in the big picture that's not much of a loss at all.
Speaking of talented farmhands, in addition to Bradley, Matt Davidson and Chris Owings made quite a name for themselves over the past few days. Owings, a shortstop for Triple-A Reno, made several nice defensive plays in Team USA's win in Sunday's Futures Game. In that same game, Davidson, a third baseman for the Aces, hit a go-ahead two-run home run and claimed MVP honors. A day later he also won the Minor League Home Run Derby. Not bad, not bad at all.
There's been debate about whether Owings or Davidson will ever play in Arizona, given the logjam currently on the infield, but save that talk for another day. For now, it's nice to know that the D-backs' pipleline extends further than just the mound.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.