Venom Vision: Archie Bradley and other top prospects
The Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation is a bit of mess coming out of the All-Star break, but if Kevin Towers and Co. can't fill a rotation need with a trade and guys like Ian Kennedy and Trevor Cahill still aren't getting the job done down the stretch, they should look in the direction of Randall Delgado and Tyler Skaggs.
It may not be as sexy as what the Los Angeles Dodgers will throw out over the final 60-plus games, but sacrificing the confidence of a long-term gem by throwing him into the fire to try and fix a short-term problem is not a smart baseball move.
If the D-backs don't win the division this year because they didn't land a big fish and instead resorted to the starting pitchers they already have on their roster, I can live with that.
If it means not rushing Archie Bradley until he's ready, well, then in the big picture that's not much of a loss at all.
Speaking of talented farmhands, in addition to Bradley, Matt Davidson and Chris Owings made quite a name for themselves over the past few days. Owings, a shortstop for Triple-A Reno, made several nice defensive plays in Team USA's win in Sunday's Futures Game. In that same game, Davidson, a third baseman for the Aces, hit a go-ahead two-run home run and claimed MVP honors. A day later he also won the Minor League Home Run Derby. Not bad, not bad at all.
There's been debate about whether Owings or Davidson will ever play in Arizona, given the logjam currently on the infield, but save that talk for another day. For now, it's nice to know that the D-backs' pipleline extends further than just the mound.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.