Updated Oct 1, 2013 - 1:41 pm
Venom Vision: Stagnancy, not grit the theme of 2013 D-backs
The Arizona Diamondbacks of 2013 won't be remembered by their grit. Nope, they'll be remembered for their remarkable consistency.
Longest winning streak: Five games
Longest losing streak: Five games
Times they won three or more in a row: 11
Times they lost three or more in a row: 12
Home record: 45-36
Road record 36-45
Record vs. RHP: 56-58
Record vs. LHP: 25-23
Day record: 23-22
Night record: 58-59
I could go on and on with the stats, but the point is they were a model of consistency…a model of consistency that points to being stagnant. And in sports, the 'S' word is one of the worst possible things a team can be.
If there's anything we've learned from this year's squad, it's that they're the equivalent of a B-/C+ movie. You'll go see it if there's nothing else out, but the plot isn't all that original and it's not exactly going to garner any Academy Awards. The D-backs might have had their moments in 2013, but in the end they suffered the same fate as four of the previous five teams did. Another year left out in the cold come October.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.