Updated Oct 1, 2013 - 1:41 pm
Venom Vision: Stagnancy, not grit the theme of 2013 D-backs
The Arizona Diamondbacks of 2013 won't be remembered by their grit. Nope, they'll be remembered for their remarkable consistency.
Longest winning streak: Five games
Longest losing streak: Five games
Times they won three or more in a row: 11
Times they lost three or more in a row: 12
Home record: 45-36
Road record 36-45
Record vs. RHP: 56-58
Record vs. LHP: 25-23
Day record: 23-22
Night record: 58-59
I could go on and on with the stats, but the point is they were a model of consistency…a model of consistency that points to being stagnant. And in sports, the 'S' word is one of the worst possible things a team can be.
If there's anything we've learned from this year's squad, it's that they're the equivalent of a B-/C+ movie. You'll go see it if there's nothing else out, but the plot isn't all that original and it's not exactly going to garner any Academy Awards. The D-backs might have had their moments in 2013, but in the end they suffered the same fate as four of the previous five teams did. Another year left out in the cold come October.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.