Question and Declare: ASU/Stanford - What's the key to victory?
A lot of very intelligent responses, but no one said the name that concerns me.
Obviously, Ty Montgomery is dependent on 10 other people doing their job, but I think he's the key.
Montgomery is, in my opinion, the best special teams returner in the country. ASU excels in so many areas of the game but not special teams. With Stanford on the road-- where they are, by far, a weaker team than at home -- I think ASU is the better team in most aspects of football but it's marginal. If Montgomery is scoring special teams points or giving Stanford short fields, that marginal advantage for ASU is gone.
A successful Montgomery on special teams means Stanford wins the Pac-12 again. I'm confident ASU will win in the other phases of the game if they're not getting railroaded on special teams.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!