Question and Declare: ASU/Stanford - What's the key to victory?
A lot of very intelligent responses, but no one said the name that concerns me.
Obviously, Ty Montgomery is dependent on 10 other people doing their job, but I think he's the key.
Montgomery is, in my opinion, the best special teams returner in the country. ASU excels in so many areas of the game but not special teams. With Stanford on the road-- where they are, by far, a weaker team than at home -- I think ASU is the better team in most aspects of football but it's marginal. If Montgomery is scoring special teams points or giving Stanford short fields, that marginal advantage for ASU is gone.
A successful Montgomery on special teams means Stanford wins the Pac-12 again. I'm confident ASU will win in the other phases of the game if they're not getting railroaded on special teams.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.