Updated May 30, 2014 - 4:55 pm
Arizona Cardinals need to cut Daryl Washington now
He just screwed his teammates and the Cardinals fans. A team coming off a 10-win season and poised to make a run at Seattle in the NFC West now loses perhaps their best overall defensive player. And why? Because he wanted to smoke some more dope.
I feel bad for general manager Steve Keim and head coach Bruce Arians. I feel bad for veteran players who may be looking at this season as their last chance to win a Super Bowl in Arizona like Larry Fitzgerald, Carson Palmer and Darnell Dockett. Yes, I feel awful for those players who are working their ass off to get back to the playoffs and care about this team.
Washington clearly doesn't -- to quote Jake Plummer -- "give a rat's ass." He is a super-talented linebacker, a sideline-to-sideline difference maker and a dominant football player. But he is not worth the headache.
He was suspended four games last year for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He was going to be suspended this year for a domestic violence case in which pleaded guilty to assaulting his girlfriend and mother of his child. And now he is suspended for the entire 2014 season for violating the substance abuse policy again.
Think for a second about how stupid you must be to lose $6 million over smoking some weed. With the loss of salary this season and the forfeiture of bonus money, he's out just over $6 million. Man, you have to be an idiot to throw that money away over smoking some pot.
But more than the money, he let his teammates down and they should be livid with him. He let this community and the Cardinals fan base down as well.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times? Enough already, get him out of here.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Burns: Replacing most irreplaceable player
- Cardinals forced to march on without Washington
- Wolf: Next Man Up
- Cards will place Washington on reserve-susp. list
- The Pulse: Washington 'deserved' suspension
- Marotta: Wouldn't want to be Keim right now
- Gambo: Cardinals need to cut Washington now
- Analyst: Washington 'ultimate in selfishness'
- Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team
- Dockett tweets about Washington suspension
- Franz: Cardinals should cut ties with Washington
- Washington suspended for entire 2014 season
- Report: Free agent LB Sims pays visit to Cards
- Daryl Washington releases statement