Updated Aug 15, 2013 - 1:54 pm
WWE superstar Darren Young: 'I'm gay and I'm happy'
TMZ caught up with Young after he arrived in Los Angeles for the 2013 WWE SummerSlam event.
The cameraman asked the 33-year-old heavyweight if he thought a gay wrestler could be successful in the WWE.
"Absolutely -- look at me," Young replied. "I'm a WWE superstar, and I'll tell you right now, I'm gay and I'm happy."
Young's statement shocked the photog, as it was the first time he had spoken publicly about his sexuality.
"I guess if you want to call it coming out -- I really don't know what to say it is," said Young. "I'm just letting you know that I'm happy who I am, I'm comfortable with myself and I'm happy to be living the dream."
Young is aware that some fans won't like the news that he's a gay wrestler, but for him, it's about being happy with himself and making a difference.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury - Thursday January 23Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury, talks about landing the WNBA All-Star Gam
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.
- Russ Pennell, Phoenix Mercury Interim head coach - Friday August 9Russ Pennell joins Doug and Chuck to talk about taking over the team.