10 stars who gained Oscar gold with dramatic body transformation
For some actors, memorizing lines, learning a new accent or chopping off their hair, can be all the preparation necessary for a film role. For others, the commitment may require a full-on body transformation, whether that means slimming down or bulking up.
But can the Hollywood equivalent of yo-yo dieting be safe for a layperson? Probably not, and trying it at home without medical supervision could lead to the emergency room (so I would certainly NOT recommend it!).
In Hollywood however, it could lead to an Oscar.
The film "Dallas Buyers Club" made its premier at the Toronto Film Festival over the weekend and many people have already predicted Oscar potential for Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, who lost approximately 80 combined pounds for their roles.
In April, McConaughey admitted to "hardcore" dieting to lose the weight, causing him to become irritable but eventually leading to what he described as a "spiritual and mental cleanse."
Leto revealed that he pretty much "stopped eating" to lose more than 30 pounds, and it's not the first time the actor-singer physically committed to his character. He gained 67 pounds -- back in 2007 -- for the role of John Lennon's assassin, Mark David Chapman, in "Chapter 27."
See below at how far other actors went to earn their golden statuette, or at least a nomination.
Mini Salas, Host
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.