10 stars who gained Oscar gold with dramatic body transformation
For some actors, memorizing lines, learning a new accent or chopping off their hair, can be all the preparation necessary for a film role. For others, the commitment may require a full-on body transformation, whether that means slimming down or bulking up.
But can the Hollywood equivalent of yo-yo dieting be safe for a layperson? Probably not, and trying it at home without medical supervision could lead to the emergency room (so I would certainly NOT recommend it!).
In Hollywood however, it could lead to an Oscar.
The film "Dallas Buyers Club" made its premier at the Toronto Film Festival over the weekend and many people have already predicted Oscar potential for Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, who lost approximately 80 combined pounds for their roles.
In April, McConaughey admitted to "hardcore" dieting to lose the weight, causing him to become irritable but eventually leading to what he described as a "spiritual and mental cleanse."
Leto revealed that he pretty much "stopped eating" to lose more than 30 pounds, and it's not the first time the actor-singer physically committed to his character. He gained 67 pounds -- back in 2007 -- for the role of John Lennon's assassin, Mark David Chapman, in "Chapter 27."
See below at how far other actors went to earn their golden statuette, or at least a nomination.
Mini Salas, Host
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?