10 stars who gained Oscar gold with dramatic body transformation
For some actors, memorizing lines, learning a new accent or chopping off their hair, can be all the preparation necessary for a film role. For others, the commitment may require a full-on body transformation, whether that means slimming down or bulking up.
But can the Hollywood equivalent of yo-yo dieting be safe for a layperson? Probably not, and trying it at home without medical supervision could lead to the emergency room (so I would certainly NOT recommend it!).
In Hollywood however, it could lead to an Oscar.
The film "Dallas Buyers Club" made its premier at the Toronto Film Festival over the weekend and many people have already predicted Oscar potential for Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, who lost approximately 80 combined pounds for their roles.
In April, McConaughey admitted to "hardcore" dieting to lose the weight, causing him to become irritable but eventually leading to what he described as a "spiritual and mental cleanse."
Leto revealed that he pretty much "stopped eating" to lose more than 30 pounds, and it's not the first time the actor-singer physically committed to his character. He gained 67 pounds -- back in 2007 -- for the role of John Lennon's assassin, Mark David Chapman, in "Chapter 27."
See below at how far other actors went to earn their golden statuette, or at least a nomination.
Mini Salas, Host
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.