10 stars who gained Oscar gold with dramatic body transformation
For some actors, memorizing lines, learning a new accent or chopping off their hair, can be all the preparation necessary for a film role. For others, the commitment may require a full-on body transformation, whether that means slimming down or bulking up.
But can the Hollywood equivalent of yo-yo dieting be safe for a layperson? Probably not, and trying it at home without medical supervision could lead to the emergency room (so I would certainly NOT recommend it!).
In Hollywood however, it could lead to an Oscar.
The film "Dallas Buyers Club" made its premier at the Toronto Film Festival over the weekend and many people have already predicted Oscar potential for Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, who lost approximately 80 combined pounds for their roles.
In April, McConaughey admitted to "hardcore" dieting to lose the weight, causing him to become irritable but eventually leading to what he described as a "spiritual and mental cleanse."
Leto revealed that he pretty much "stopped eating" to lose more than 30 pounds, and it's not the first time the actor-singer physically committed to his character. He gained 67 pounds -- back in 2007 -- for the role of John Lennon's assassin, Mark David Chapman, in "Chapter 27."
See below at how far other actors went to earn their golden statuette, or at least a nomination.
Mini Salas, Host
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.