Vitor Belfort admits to testing positive for elevated levels of testosterone in random NSAC test
In a formal statement released on his Instagram account, ‘The Phenom' revealed he was in the process of applying for a therapeutic-use exemption from the Nevada State Athletic Commission in order to continue using the highly controversial testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in his upcoming fight.
"At the time that test was taken, I was considering filing for a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) from the NSAC. While I had not made formal application for a TUE, the NSAC nonetheless requested I take the test and I willingly complied. I further confirmed to the NSAC, in writing, the widely known fact that I was then presently on TRT and had been for many years leading up to that test and that I had further taken the TRT dosage recommended by my doctors the day prior.
However, according to the same statement, Belfort revealed his testosterone levels came back above the allowable range for a person seeking a TUE.
"The results of the February 7, 2014, test indicated that my testosterone level was above the therapeutic range. While levels slightly outside the normal therapeutic range are not uncommon for some undergoing a TRT regimen, and my doctors immediately modified my therapy to return me to within the therapeutic range (as you can see the 22nd February test results was normal), I do want to acknowledge that the February 7, 2014 test indicated my level was above the range.
The NSAC has since banned the use of TRT, meaning Belfort was forced to immediately halt his use of the controversial treatment but also pull out of his scheduled title fight against Weidman in order for the remaining testosterone to leave his system. Belfort has since passed all the tests for the NSAC.
"Since that February 7, 2014 test, I have taken several subsequent tests, in late February, March, April and May, and the results of each test indicate my levels were either normal or below normal. To avoid any ambiguity, I am releasing, along with this statement, the results of all the test noted above and will provide the same to NSCA for their consideration as part of my licensing application. I further welcome any additional testing that the NSAC deems appropriate and necessary with respect to being granted the privilege of a license to fight here in the State of Nevada.
"Shortly thereafter, on February 27, 2014, the NSAC banned all TRT and I stopped my TRT treatment that very same day. Now I am applying for a license in Nevada. I don't want any clouds hanging over my ability to compete and I understand it is my responsibility to prove to the NSAC that I have the requisite fitness to be licensed in Nevada.
"I truly appreciate and thank the Commission for considering my application, and I look forward to providing any information and answering any questions that the NSAC might have on June 17. And if the NSAC sees fit to grant my application, I look forward to fighting on July 5, 2014 in Las Vegas and again proving that I am one of the best fighters in the world."
Belfort still has to apply for a license for his upcoming fight against Chael Sonnen at UFC 175 on July 5 UFC 175 event at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. This comes after Sonnen's original opponent, Wanderlei Silva, was pulled from the card for supposedly walking out on a random drug almost two weeks ago.
- President and CEO of Rage in the Cage ,Nathan Hyland - Saturday June 28President and CEO of Rage in the Cage ,Nathan Hyland, joins the show to talk about upcoming Rage and
- Light Heavyweight fighter Ryan Bader - Saturday June 28Regular show host and Light Heavyweight fighter, Ryan Bader, joins the show to talk about his traini
- Welterweight Division Fighter Kelvin Gastelum - Saturday June 28Welterweight Division Fighter and Ultimate Fighter winner Kelvin Gastelum joins the show to discuss
- Welterweight Division Fighter Nate Marquardt - Saturday June 28Welterweight Division Fighter Nate Marquardt joins Jim and Aaron to discuss his most recent fight.
- Voice of the UFC, Mike Goldberg - Saturday June 21Voice of the UFC, Mike Goldberg joins the show.
- Voice of the UFC, Mike Goldberg - Saturday June 14Voice of the UFC, Mike Goldberg joins the show to talk about UFC 174.
- Aaron Simpson - Saturday June 14Regular host to the Power MMA Show and UFC legend, Aaron Simpson joins the show to talk about UFC 17