U.S. biathlete gives up Olympic spot for ailing sister
Barnes clinched her spot on the U.S. Team last week, finishing fifth-best among Americans at the final qualifying events.
The only problem?
Her twin sister, Lanny, was ill throughout the qualifying events and failed to secure her spot for the Sochi Games.
While both sisters skied together at the 2006 Games in Turin, Tracy didn't want her sister to miss out on another chance to compete on the Olympic stage. So, the 31-year-old did the most selfless thing a competitor could do: She gave her sister her spot.
"She's having a great year, and I think when you care enough about someone you're willing to make that kind of sacrifice," Tracy told NBC's "Today" Show. "I think right away when I heard she got sick because I knew that the likelihood of her making the team was pretty slim being sick."
- USC's Josh Shaw out indefinitely after jumping from second floor to save nephew
- Little League coach delivers moving message after heartbreaking loss
- Phoenix Suns, APS team up to provide mini-grants to K-12 teachers
- Paul Bissonnette does Ice Bucket Challenge, wins the internet
- Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians accepts Ice Bucket Challenge