U.S. biathlete gives up Olympic spot for ailing sister
Barnes clinched her spot on the U.S. Team last week, finishing fifth-best among Americans at the final qualifying events.
The only problem?
Her twin sister, Lanny, was ill throughout the qualifying events and failed to secure her spot for the Sochi Games.
While both sisters skied together at the 2006 Games in Turin, Tracy didn't want her sister to miss out on another chance to compete on the Olympic stage. So, the 31-year-old did the most selfless thing a competitor could do: She gave her sister her spot.
"She's having a great year, and I think when you care enough about someone you're willing to make that kind of sacrifice," Tracy told NBC's "Today" Show. "I think right away when I heard she got sick because I knew that the likelihood of her making the team was pretty slim being sick."
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- J.J. Watt kindly proves he's a young fan's friend
- Tom Izzo pours his heart out talking about Lacey Holsworth
- Arizona Cardinals LB Lorenzo Alexander a Pro Bowler off the field, too
- Shadow Mountain's Reid Maurice named Fulton Homes Character Counts Monthly Winner