Updated Jun 2, 2014 - 4:10 pm
Shadow Mountain's Reid Maurice earns scholarship from Fulton Homes as Character Counts winner
And the winner? Shadow Mountain High School's Reid Maurice, who received a $5,000 scholarship.
"It's a tremendous honor to be with you guys and I thank you very much for giving me this scholarship," the 17-year-old Maurice said while accepting the award in front of the other five students who were in the running.
Maurice, you may recall, was nominated for the award due to his efforts to help Phoenix Children's Hospital.
Last summer he, along with his 21-year-old brother Ethan, rode their bicycles across the country to raise money for PCH.
The two raised $96,000 for the hospital, which was chosen because Ethan had been treated there for a life-threatening illness four years prior to the ride.
- J.J. Watt, Barbara Bush suit up to sack illiteracy
- Youth baseball team calls out Paul Goldschmidt, former D-backs for ice bucket challenge
- Little League coach delivers moving message after heartbreaking loss
- Phoenix Suns, APS team up to provide mini-grants to K-12 teachers
- Paul Bissonnette does Ice Bucket Challenge, wins the internet