Updated Jun 26, 2014 - 10:32 pm
Former MSU forward Adreian Payne honors friend Lacey Holsworth with draft night jacket
Often appearing like brother and sister more so than top-flight athlete and adoring fan, the duo's connection captivated fans near and far -- especially during the 2014 NCAA tournament.
While Holsworth ultimately succumbed to neuroblastoma on April 9, her memory continued to live on as Payne worked to realize his own professional dreams.
Thursday night, Payne's journey to the league finally reached its conclusion, as the Atlanta Hawks selected the Dayton, Ohio native with the 15th overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
And as he made his way to greet NBA commissioner Adam Silver on stage at the Barclays Center, Payne opened up his suit jacket to reveal its pink interior -- a beautiful nod to his courageous friend, Holsworth.
- J.J. Watt, Barbara Bush suit up to sack illiteracy
- Youth baseball team calls out Paul Goldschmidt, former D-backs for ice bucket challenge
- Little League coach delivers moving message after heartbreaking loss
- Phoenix Suns, APS team up to provide mini-grants to K-12 teachers
- Paul Bissonnette does Ice Bucket Challenge, wins the internet