Updated Jun 24, 2014 - 4:34 pm
Arizona State tabs Indiana's Tracy Smith as new baseball coach
The Sun Devils have tabbed Indiana coach Tracy Smith to lead their program.
Smith, 48, was with Indiana for the last nine seasons. He led the school to 49 wins and its first ever College World Series appearance in 2013. He was named the NCBWA Coach of the Year that season for his efforts.
"His accomplishments and accolades on the field speak for themselves, and his career has been defined by class, dignity and integrity," Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson said in a statement. "He will be a great fit within the ASU family, our baseball community and our current student-athletes, and we can't wait for the new era of Sun Devil Baseball to begin under Tracy's guidance."
Smith's Hooseirs won 44 games in 2014, but saw its season end at the hands of Stanford in the regional round. In all, he compiled a 287-235 record at the school, including a 127-111 mark in Big Ten play.
Prior to coaching at Indiana, Smith was the boss at Miami (OH), his alma mater. He led the Redhawks to a 317-220-1 mark in nine seasons, reaching the NCAA Regional in 2000 and 2005.
In his playing days, Smith was a 39th round draft pick of the Chicago Cubs in 1988 and played in 206 minor league games over the next three seasons. Smith hit .201 with a home run and 47 RBI with Class-A Geneva, Peoria and Winston-Salem.
Smith is replacing Tim Esmay, who resigned earlier this month after the Sun Devils went 33-24 and lost their first two postseason games. In five seasons under Esmay's tutelage, ASU went 201-94-1, won a conference title (2010), advanced to four NCAA Tournaments and made one College World Series appearance.
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.