Whether or not you're a space junky, this photo is impressive.
According to space.com, the photo was snapped as the most powerful solar flare of the year erupted on Thursday.
"This is the strongest flare seen so far in 2013," NASA spokeswoman Karen Fox explained in a statement. "Increased numbers of flares are quite common at the moment, since the sun's normal 11-year cycle is ramping up toward solar maximum, which is expected in late 2013."
The M-class solar flare released Thursday was about 10 times weaker than the X-class, which is the strongest the sun can release.
The solar flare caused some radio blackouts on Earth. Some can cause problems with GPS and communication satellites.
- Dodgers facing new enemies, new expectations in 2014
- Carson Palmer eager for his encore season with Arizona Cardinals
- Bickley: Here are 5 reasons to be optimistic about 2014 Arizona Cardinals on eve of free agency
- LeBron James drops 61: How high can he go
- Josh Pastner's family has number of great tales to tell