Updated Feb 18, 2014 - 6:47 am
SOCHI SCENE: Delayed by ... snow
KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia (AP) - So the second leg of the women's giant slalom at the Winter Olympics was delayed by- wait for it- snow.
Yes, a sudden shower of thick flakes at the top of the Rosa Khutor course, along with sleet and rain lower down on the hill, came right before the scheduled start time of Tuesday's second of two GS runs. It's the first snow on the mountain since the Alpine competition at the Sochi Games began on Feb. 9.
Indeed, the biggest weather issue until now had been the bright sun that lifted the temperature above 50 degrees (10 Celsius) and made the ski track mushy.
After about a 15-minute delay Tuesday, during which some skiers and coaches huddled under umbrellas, the first starter headed down the giant slalom course for the second run.
_ By Howard Fendrich- Twitter http://twitter.com/HowardFendrich
Associated Press reporters are filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- It’s Paul’s Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday February 24Zack Greinke doesn’t want to go down under.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi - Friday February 21Has it really been 25 years, Bill and Ted?
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Friday February 21George Gosbee checks in from the Winter Olympics.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday February 20How is Russia coping with yesterday's hockey loss?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday February 19Coyotes captain Shane Doan talks Olympic hockey.