MOSCOW (AP) - Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has given a Mercedes-Benz to each Olympic medalist from the host country of the 2014 Sochi Games.
Medvedev reportedly gave away dozens of white Mercedes-Benz cars, decorated with the Russian Olympic team logo. While some of Russia's star athletes, like 15-year-old figure skater Julia Lipnitskaia or 17-year-old teammate Adelina Sotnikova, don't even have their licenses yet, Medvedev found a way around that problem by providing a driver- all services paid.
After an embarrassing sixth-place finish in the medals table at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, Russia finished at the top in Sochi.
Medvedev says that it is important for the government to continue supporting athletes financially.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday February 24Zack Greinke doesnít want to go down under.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi - Friday February 21Has it really been 25 years, Bill and Ted?
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Friday February 21George Gosbee checks in from the Winter Olympics.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday February 20How is Russia coping with yesterday's hockey loss?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday February 19Coyotes captain Shane Doan talks Olympic hockey.