Updated Feb 10, 2014 - 4:31 pm
D-backs GM Towers on trading young talent: 'I think we know our players better than anybody else'
Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers probably knows that better than anyone these days.
Early on in his tenure, he was lauded for acquiring key contributors like David Hernandez, Aaron Hill and J.J. Putz, but lately has been more known for trading away young talent like Trevor Bauer, David Holmberg, Matt Davidson, Tyler Skaggs and Adam Eaton.
Naturally, some moves will work out better than others, and the occasional miss is not reason enough to be completely down on a GM's plan or direction.
But when you seem to continually part with a team's top young prospects, players whom fans have heard so many promising things about as they've moved through the minor leagues, people have questions.
Towers has answers.
"I think we know our players better than anybody else, and we should," Towers told Doug and Wolf as part of Newsmakers Week on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Monday. "We maybe over-scout our players. We know character. We know, from a health standpoint, our trainers are probably the most progressive trainers that there are in the game when they're measuring spines and looking at what they do off the field. Are they smokers, are they drinkers, do they stay out late?
"And then they rank these guys."
Towers added that a player's risk level is judged, be it with potential health issues down the road or simple character flaws the organization does not want to deal with.
"We weigh all those things," he said. "To me, sometimes these decisions, people say, 'Why are you doing that,' well I can't explain it all the time, but there's reasons sometimes behind my madness.
"A lot of it is I don't think they're going to continue to trend upward. I think we've seen what we're going to get, and they might even go the other way."
And yes, Towers understands sometimes he'll be right and sometimes he'll be wrong. But regardless of how a deal ultimately turns out, every move he's made has been done so with one goal in mind.
"Every move that I've made or make, myself as well as our baseball operations staff, is for the betterment of this organization," he said. "It's not for selfish reasons or because I've got an ego or I don't like this guy as a person. It's because I think, in my heart of hearts, that we're going to be a better ball club not only now, but in the future."
But don't get him wrong, he does want to win now, and moves have certainly been made hoping to reach that end.
"If you're sitting there worrying about rebuilding and three, four, five years down the road, you're not going to be in this chair much longer," he said. "It used to be different that way, not anymore."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
Schedule for the week
Dave Tippett and Lon Babby are in-studio on Tuesday for Newsmakers Week.
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week recap: Friday and the full week
- Greg Byrne: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf
- Steve Keim: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf part two
- Steve Keim: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf part one
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week Recap: Thursday
- Herb Sendek: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Herb Sendek: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Derrick Hall: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Three
- Derrick Hall: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Derrick Hall: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week Recap: Wednesday
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Four
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Three
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Jerry Colangelo: Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week Recap: Tuesday
- Lon Babby - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Lon Babby - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Dave Tippett - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Dave Tippett - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week recap: Monday
- Jeff Hornacek - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Jeff Hornacek - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Four
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Three
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part Two
- Kevin Towers - Newsmakers Week with Doug & Wolf Part One
- Bryan Sperber, PIR President - Friday February 14PIR president Bryan Sperber closes out Newsmakers Week with Doug and Wolf.
- Greg Byrne, UA Athletic Director - Friday February 14Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne sits in on Newsmakers Week.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Friday February 14Cardinals GM Steve Keim joins Newsmakers Week.
- Kevin Guy, Arizona Rattlers Head Coach - Thursday February 13What should the NFL implement from arena football?
- Herb Sendek, Head Coach ASU Basketball - Thursday February 13Can ASU make the tournament in March?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday February 13When does Derrick Hall think things will heat up with the Dodgers?
- Brian Mueller, GCU President - Thursday February 13Brian Mueller explains what attracts athletes to GCU.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday February 12Ray Anderson explains why he took the job at ASU.
- Jason Rowley, Suns President - Wednesday February 12Where are the Suns trending financially?
- Jerry Colangelo, Godfather of Phoenix Sports - Wednesday February 12Jerry Colangelo comes in studio for an entire hour!
- Dan Majerle, Head Coach GCU Basketball - Wednesday February 12Dan Majerle explains the recruiting process.
- David Rousseau, AZ Super Bowl Host Committee Chairman - Tuesday February 11Find out how Glendale is preparing right now to host next year's Super Bowl.
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Operations - Tuesday February 11Eric Bledsoe's future with the team and the relationship between the Suns and Dan Majerle.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Tuesday February 11Dave spends his Olympic break with us in studio to discuss the playoff race his team is in.
- Tim Esmay, ASU baseball coach - Tuesday February 11Tim describes the competitive nature in recruiting high school athletes.
- Tom King, 2014 Waste Managment Phoenix Open Chairman - Tuesday February 11Tom explains how the Phoenix Open continues to be a huge success year after year.
- Charli Turner Thorne, ASU Women's basketball head coach - Monday February 10How is the women's basketball program at ASU doing?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Monday February 10The D-backs made moves on the mound
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Monday February 10Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek joins Doug and Wolf during Newsmakers Week.
- Keith Baker, GCU Athletic Director - Monday February 10How long until GCU can make the NCAA tournament?
- George Gosbee Phoenix Coyotes Co-Owner - Monday February 10Live update from the Sochi Winter Olympics.
Doug & Wolf's Newsmakers Week
D&W talk to all the top decision makers in Arizona sports.