Whisenhunt trumps Peterson for rookie of the year
The player is Patrick Peterson and the name of the game is punt returns.
Peterson returned his fourth punt for a touchdown Sunday against the Rams, tying an NFL record for punt returns for a touchdown in a single season.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt knew Peterson was a good returner, but had no idea he could be this special.
"I didn't know that he was going to return four for touchdowns," Whisenhunt said. "It's pretty clear that he has those abilities to do that quickness, strength, great hands, I can say now after his fourth one I'm not surprised I couldn't say that at the start of the season."
Obviously by now most punters realize the danger Peterson presents and will probably try to keep the ball away from him. Although that wasn't the story Sunday, even after Peterson warned punter Donnie Jones not to punt to him.
However, Whisenhunt says sometimes keeping the ball away is easier said than done.
"I watched their punter in pre-game and he was obviously trying to kick it to the sideline, but it's not an exact science," Whisenhunt said. "Every once in a while you'll miss you and it'll you go down the middle and you just hope that it doesn't hurt you. It's a tough deal when you have someone back there that can return it like Patrick."
Whisenhunt believes Peterson is a legitimate threat for rookie of the year.
"I don't have a vote in it but I would certainly push for him," Whisenhunt said. "He's had a huge impact with our team on our wins and I know we don't have a lot of wins but what he's done tying a record in the NFL that's pretty special."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.