Updated Dec 5, 2011 - 2:13 pm
Cardinals coach Whisenhunt fakes out Cowboys kicker
That's what took place Sunday, except it wasn't the opposing team calling the timeout.
Dallas Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey made a 49 yard field goal to all but assure a Cowboys win, only to find out his team called a timeout right before the kick. Bailey missed the next attempt, then came overtime which ended on a 52-yard touchdown catch and run by LaRod Stephens-Howling to seal a 19-13 OT win for the Cards.
Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt actually thought about calling a timeout before the kick, but remembered what happened when the Cowboys came to Glendale in 2008.
"I was thinking about it," Whisenhunt said. "If you remember the last overtime game that we played them in 08 I iced the kicker and he missed and then he made it. When the time was called and he made the kick there was no way I was going to ice him after that point because I figured the karma has got to turn around and he's got to miss it."
After the Cowboys called the timeout, Whisenhunt actually gave the perception he was going to use his timeout.
"I was faking like I was going to call it," Whisenhunt said. "You go right to the official and say, 'I'm not going to call a timeout, but I'm going to fake like I'm going to' so he's kind of looking at you and you're standing there like you're going to call a timeout and then you obviously don't call it. It's an art form."
Whisenhunt's fake timeout plan may have flustered Bailey, but what probably had a more resounding effect on the kicker to miss two field goals in the game was the Cardinals ability to block them.
"I think those other teams have seen what we've done and it's no question they're aware of that as well," Whisenhunt said. "On the extra point after they scored their touchdown Patrick [Peterson] almost ran past the ball; he was almost on the other side of it when the guy kicked the extra point and when you see that when you know that's coming it's got to affect you."
Before the game Bailey was 27-28 in field goal attempts this season and hadn't missed since Week 2, that changed Sunday against the Cardinals.
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 27, 2014
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.