Updated Dec 5, 2011 - 4:26 pm
Cardinals look to build off big win over Cowboys
That's no longer the case.
The Cardinals beat the Cowboys 19-13 in overtime, improving their record to 5-7 this season.
On Sunday the Cards looked like the team many expected to see at the beginning of the season. Kevin Kolb was mobile, accurate and mistake free, Andre Roberts proved to be a legit number two receiver, and the 3-4 defense showed what it could do, sacking Tony Romo five times.
Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt says now the whole team must build off the strong performance, including the quarterback.
"I think there were a number of things that we saw in the second half that I really liked," Whisenhunt said. "[Kevin Kolb] got a better feel for the game as it went on, it was really nice for him to make those strides as far as the way we're running our offense, and that will give us confidence going forward -- especially if we can continue to run the football."
On the other side of the ball, Whisenhunt attributes the defense's improvement to defensive coordinator Ray Horton.
"This is Ray's first job as a defensive coordinator and to come in here with no offseason with a bunch of new guys and get them all on the same page, it's tough," Whisenhunt said. "It was a tough stretch for us early, but Ray is a very disciplined, good teacher, understands the scheme, does a great job communicating with our players and I think they believe in what we're trying to get done."
Whisenhunt said the defense is finally playing together, which allowed the team to get pressure.
Looking forward, the head coach just wants to take it one game at a time.
"The important thing for us is to keep our focus like it's been the last five or six games and that's just one week at a time," Whisenhunt said. "We want to make sure that we focus on trying to get better each week and we're starting to see progress with that."
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!