Updated Dec 6, 2011 - 2:09 pm
Whisenhunt backs up talk with more time
Since Week 9 the Cardinals have won four out of their last five games, mainly due to the improved defensive play.
"I think everybody is so quick to forget that we didn't have an offseason, that we had a whole bunch of new guys, that we're in a new scheme," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "When the bullets are flying and you're trying to play your scheme and you're making mistakes, teams make you pay for those mistakes."
The Cardinals defense has given up an average of 17.2 points a game the past five weeks.
"We're still making some mistakes but we're able to recover from those because our guys are making enough plays because they are in the right spots," Whisenhunt said.
Since digging themselves into a deep hole with a 1-6 record, the Cardinals have played their way into the playoff conversation.
If Whisenhunt is right about the lack of time being a big issue for this team, then you have to wonder how the first seven games would have gone if the team had a regular offseason.
"As it gets better you can see out guys starting to play faster, play with more confidence," Whisenhunt said, "and you know, it's really a neat thing to see the way those guys are growing together."
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.