Updated Dec 6, 2011 - 2:09 pm
Whisenhunt backs up talk with more time
Since Week 9 the Cardinals have won four out of their last five games, mainly due to the improved defensive play.
"I think everybody is so quick to forget that we didn't have an offseason, that we had a whole bunch of new guys, that we're in a new scheme," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "When the bullets are flying and you're trying to play your scheme and you're making mistakes, teams make you pay for those mistakes."
The Cardinals defense has given up an average of 17.2 points a game the past five weeks.
"We're still making some mistakes but we're able to recover from those because our guys are making enough plays because they are in the right spots," Whisenhunt said.
Since digging themselves into a deep hole with a 1-6 record, the Cardinals have played their way into the playoff conversation.
If Whisenhunt is right about the lack of time being a big issue for this team, then you have to wonder how the first seven games would have gone if the team had a regular offseason.
"As it gets better you can see out guys starting to play faster, play with more confidence," Whisenhunt said, "and you know, it's really a neat thing to see the way those guys are growing together."
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.