Updated Dec 6, 2011 - 2:09 pm
Whisenhunt backs up talk with more time
Since Week 9 the Cardinals have won four out of their last five games, mainly due to the improved defensive play.
"I think everybody is so quick to forget that we didn't have an offseason, that we had a whole bunch of new guys, that we're in a new scheme," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "When the bullets are flying and you're trying to play your scheme and you're making mistakes, teams make you pay for those mistakes."
The Cardinals defense has given up an average of 17.2 points a game the past five weeks.
"We're still making some mistakes but we're able to recover from those because our guys are making enough plays because they are in the right spots," Whisenhunt said.
Since digging themselves into a deep hole with a 1-6 record, the Cardinals have played their way into the playoff conversation.
If Whisenhunt is right about the lack of time being a big issue for this team, then you have to wonder how the first seven games would have gone if the team had a regular offseason.
"As it gets better you can see out guys starting to play faster, play with more confidence," Whisenhunt said, "and you know, it's really a neat thing to see the way those guys are growing together."
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.