Updated Dec 6, 2011 - 2:09 pm
Whisenhunt backs up talk with more time
Since Week 9 the Cardinals have won four out of their last five games, mainly due to the improved defensive play.
"I think everybody is so quick to forget that we didn't have an offseason, that we had a whole bunch of new guys, that we're in a new scheme," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "When the bullets are flying and you're trying to play your scheme and you're making mistakes, teams make you pay for those mistakes."
The Cardinals defense has given up an average of 17.2 points a game the past five weeks.
"We're still making some mistakes but we're able to recover from those because our guys are making enough plays because they are in the right spots," Whisenhunt said.
Since digging themselves into a deep hole with a 1-6 record, the Cardinals have played their way into the playoff conversation.
If Whisenhunt is right about the lack of time being a big issue for this team, then you have to wonder how the first seven games would have gone if the team had a regular offseason.
"As it gets better you can see out guys starting to play faster, play with more confidence," Whisenhunt said, "and you know, it's really a neat thing to see the way those guys are growing together."
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!