Updated Dec 6, 2011 - 2:09 pm
Whisenhunt backs up talk with more time
Since Week 9 the Cardinals have won four out of their last five games, mainly due to the improved defensive play.
"I think everybody is so quick to forget that we didn't have an offseason, that we had a whole bunch of new guys, that we're in a new scheme," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "When the bullets are flying and you're trying to play your scheme and you're making mistakes, teams make you pay for those mistakes."
The Cardinals defense has given up an average of 17.2 points a game the past five weeks.
"We're still making some mistakes but we're able to recover from those because our guys are making enough plays because they are in the right spots," Whisenhunt said.
Since digging themselves into a deep hole with a 1-6 record, the Cardinals have played their way into the playoff conversation.
If Whisenhunt is right about the lack of time being a big issue for this team, then you have to wonder how the first seven games would have gone if the team had a regular offseason.
"As it gets better you can see out guys starting to play faster, play with more confidence," Whisenhunt said, "and you know, it's really a neat thing to see the way those guys are growing together."
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Despite interest from Cardinals, linebacker James Harrison retires
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.