Updated Dec 30, 2011 - 9:05 pm
Cardinals' Ray Horton assesses defense
Whether you point to the effects of the lockout or the Cardinals' reliance on youth at many key defensive positions, it's no wonder the team took a while to gel as a unit.
Two of the Cardinals' young impact cornerbacks both experienced growing pains early this season but one of them has showed great progression and maturity.
"I think Patrick has come on obviously with his play and his punt returns and his special teams ability," Horton said of Pro Bowl corner Patrick Peterson.
While Peterson thrived in the second half of the season, fellow cornerback AJ Jefferson's production remained level.
"I would like him to have played a lot better to get confidence," Horton said. "He played very well in the preseason and was kind of stagnant throughout the year. He's one of our young guys -- an athletic guy that needs to understand what this NFL is all about and grow up and be responsible and accountable."
Horton said he saw glimpses late in the season of what great defense the Cardinals can have for next year.
He was particularly high on cornerback Richard Marshall's performance -- whom he had nothing but the utmost praise.
"He allowed us, when Kerry (Rhodes) was hurt, to function with speed on the field," Horton stated. "For me, he was my most valuable player."
Horton may have positives to build upon heading into next year, but he stressed the importance of fixing his team's fatal flaw on defense this season.
"We are glaringly not good at turnovers," Horton stated. The Cardinals defense has forced just a mere 18 on defense this season, in comparison to the league average of 25.
"We are not NFL-level on turnovers."
Horton said he wishes he could have just two games back and he feels his defense finally began to hit its stride.
"I think if you look at the second half of the season we're a totally different team than we were the first half of the season," Horton said.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.