Updated Jan 3, 2012 - 5:00 pm
Beanie Wells turns in career season for Cardinals
A third-year pro, Wells rushed for 1,047 yards and 10 touchdowns - both career highs - and silenced many critics who thought he could not play through pain or, really, be an effective runner.
If it was a make or break year for the former Ohio State star, Wells made it.
"It was good," he said. "To keep fighting through it, keep going out there. Competing, giving my team a chance, that's all I can ask for."
Of course, Wells was held out of Sunday's finale, a decision that was made by head coach Ken Whisenhunt due to the various injuries the player has battled through this season.
Wells was not pleased with his coach for holding him out.
"It was like he was my dad and he told me I couldn't go out to the party," Wells said.
At this point, though, there was little left for Wells to prove - at least to his coaches. Wells played in 14 games this season, scoring three touchdowns in one and rushing for a franchise-record 228 yards in another. So, in other words, there should be little doubt that Wells can be the number one back for this team next season.
"It was a good season," he said, "and I'm excited about next year, excited about being here and what Coach Whisenhunt has planned for us next year is going to be great."
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest paid CB
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.