Updated Jan 3, 2012 - 5:00 pm
Beanie Wells turns in career season for Cardinals
A third-year pro, Wells rushed for 1,047 yards and 10 touchdowns - both career highs - and silenced many critics who thought he could not play through pain or, really, be an effective runner.
If it was a make or break year for the former Ohio State star, Wells made it.
"It was good," he said. "To keep fighting through it, keep going out there. Competing, giving my team a chance, that's all I can ask for."
Of course, Wells was held out of Sunday's finale, a decision that was made by head coach Ken Whisenhunt due to the various injuries the player has battled through this season.
Wells was not pleased with his coach for holding him out.
"It was like he was my dad and he told me I couldn't go out to the party," Wells said.
At this point, though, there was little left for Wells to prove - at least to his coaches. Wells played in 14 games this season, scoring three touchdowns in one and rushing for a franchise-record 228 yards in another. So, in other words, there should be little doubt that Wells can be the number one back for this team next season.
"It was a good season," he said, "and I'm excited about next year, excited about being here and what Coach Whisenhunt has planned for us next year is going to be great."
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.