Updated Jan 3, 2012 - 5:00 pm
Beanie Wells turns in career season for Cardinals
A third-year pro, Wells rushed for 1,047 yards and 10 touchdowns - both career highs - and silenced many critics who thought he could not play through pain or, really, be an effective runner.
If it was a make or break year for the former Ohio State star, Wells made it.
"It was good," he said. "To keep fighting through it, keep going out there. Competing, giving my team a chance, that's all I can ask for."
Of course, Wells was held out of Sunday's finale, a decision that was made by head coach Ken Whisenhunt due to the various injuries the player has battled through this season.
Wells was not pleased with his coach for holding him out.
"It was like he was my dad and he told me I couldn't go out to the party," Wells said.
At this point, though, there was little left for Wells to prove - at least to his coaches. Wells played in 14 games this season, scoring three touchdowns in one and rushing for a franchise-record 228 yards in another. So, in other words, there should be little doubt that Wells can be the number one back for this team next season.
"It was a good season," he said, "and I'm excited about next year, excited about being here and what Coach Whisenhunt has planned for us next year is going to be great."
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.