Updated Jan 4, 2012 - 3:17 pm
Levi Brown steps up over second half of season
Ken Whisenhunt's first pick as a head coach, Brown has been mediocre -- at best -- as both a right and left tackle.
The 27-year-old has been a mainstay on the line for the last five years, though, and is sure to hit the free agent market soon, as the Cardinals are not likely to pick up his option year.
Should the Cardinals bring him back?
Most fans would answer that question with a resounding "no," citing the player's inability to protect the quarterback or avoid penalties. In fact, the phrase "false start, number 75" has been fairly common over the years. However, like the Cardinals, Brown stepped his game up over the second half of the 2011 season.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Brown gave up 10 sacks, five hits and 32 hurries in the team's first 10 games this season, however:
Levi Brown has only given up one sack and eight hurries in the last six games. Think he may be looking to Free Agency?
Therein lies the question for the Cardinals. Has Brown actually turned the corner and become the left tackle the team hoped he would, or did Brown play well in hopes of landing a nice payday? If it's the former, it would be best for the team to keep him around, because quality left tackles are not easy to find and it would be a shame to lose the player just when he's hitting his stride.
But if it's the latter, investing even more money into the player will be as big a mistake as selecting Brown in the first place.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.