Updated Jan 4, 2012 - 3:17 pm
Levi Brown steps up over second half of season
Ken Whisenhunt's first pick as a head coach, Brown has been mediocre -- at best -- as both a right and left tackle.
The 27-year-old has been a mainstay on the line for the last five years, though, and is sure to hit the free agent market soon, as the Cardinals are not likely to pick up his option year.
Should the Cardinals bring him back?
Most fans would answer that question with a resounding "no," citing the player's inability to protect the quarterback or avoid penalties. In fact, the phrase "false start, number 75" has been fairly common over the years. However, like the Cardinals, Brown stepped his game up over the second half of the 2011 season.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Brown gave up 10 sacks, five hits and 32 hurries in the team's first 10 games this season, however:
Levi Brown has only given up one sack and eight hurries in the last six games. Think he may be looking to Free Agency?
Therein lies the question for the Cardinals. Has Brown actually turned the corner and become the left tackle the team hoped he would, or did Brown play well in hopes of landing a nice payday? If it's the former, it would be best for the team to keep him around, because quality left tackles are not easy to find and it would be a shame to lose the player just when he's hitting his stride.
But if it's the latter, investing even more money into the player will be as big a mistake as selecting Brown in the first place.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.