Updated Jan 5, 2012 - 10:46 am
Larry Fitzgerald one of 2011's top offensive players
Easily the Cardinals' best player, the Pro Bowler just finished up an 80 catch, 1,411 yard and eight touchdown season, and his impact truly goes beyond just the stats.
According to the popular and informative ProFootballFocus.com, Fitz was the fifth- most valuable offensive player in the NFL this year, trailing only Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson and Rob Gronkowski.
Larry Fitzgerald may have achieved more, while working with less, than anybody else on this list. To record 1,411 yards and eight touchdowns on his 80 receptions with the quarterback duo of Kevin Kolb and John Skelton throwing at him is truly remarkable. Fitzgerald amassed more yardage and touchdowns than the rest of the Arizona wide receivers put together and did it on 34 fewer receptions than they combined for. The fact that Arizona finished the season at .500 owes a huge debt to Fitzgerald's consistent quality, and his season is being largely overlooked because Arizona's 1-6 start rendered them done from an early stage. Fitzgerald has every trait you look for in the perfect receiver, and remains an All-Pro caliber player year-in, year-out.
You didn't have to be told of just how good Fitzgerald is, right?
Whether it's highlight-reel catches or simply being the one guy a defense must focus on, having No. 11 on the field goes a long way towards the Cardinals having any success. And, while an 8-8 record wasn't what the team had in mind going into the season, it did set the stage for what could be a great 2012, and if the Cardinals return to the playoffs there's little doubt it will be Fitzgerald who leads them there.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.