Updated Jan 5, 2012 - 10:46 am
Larry Fitzgerald one of 2011's top offensive players
Easily the Cardinals' best player, the Pro Bowler just finished up an 80 catch, 1,411 yard and eight touchdown season, and his impact truly goes beyond just the stats.
According to the popular and informative ProFootballFocus.com, Fitz was the fifth- most valuable offensive player in the NFL this year, trailing only Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson and Rob Gronkowski.
Larry Fitzgerald may have achieved more, while working with less, than anybody else on this list. To record 1,411 yards and eight touchdowns on his 80 receptions with the quarterback duo of Kevin Kolb and John Skelton throwing at him is truly remarkable. Fitzgerald amassed more yardage and touchdowns than the rest of the Arizona wide receivers put together and did it on 34 fewer receptions than they combined for. The fact that Arizona finished the season at .500 owes a huge debt to Fitzgerald's consistent quality, and his season is being largely overlooked because Arizona's 1-6 start rendered them done from an early stage. Fitzgerald has every trait you look for in the perfect receiver, and remains an All-Pro caliber player year-in, year-out.
You didn't have to be told of just how good Fitzgerald is, right?
Whether it's highlight-reel catches or simply being the one guy a defense must focus on, having No. 11 on the field goes a long way towards the Cardinals having any success. And, while an 8-8 record wasn't what the team had in mind going into the season, it did set the stage for what could be a great 2012, and if the Cardinals return to the playoffs there's little doubt it will be Fitzgerald who leads them there.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?